Snow Angels getting Leggy??

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone. I have 3 Snow Angels that have thrived this year, but I noticed over the past week or two that 2 of them have gotten leggy and kind of ragged looking. The 3rd is doing fine, but receives a bit more shade.

What could be causing this? This is my 1st year with them, so I don't know if this is a normal thing that happens this time of year or if I should be concerned. I don't want to lose them. Thanks!!

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Here are some pictures...

Thumbnail by KarenB61
Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

The other one that's not doing well...

Thumbnail by KarenB61
Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

The one that looks great!

Thumbnail by KarenB61
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Karen, I'm rather a beginner with Heucheras, but if those were mine I would replant those two leggy clumps a little deeper in larger pots. . .

Finger Lakes, NY(Zone 6a)

Karen

I too have Snow Angel. I have found her to be great in the Spring and early Summer, but the heat of later Summer is hard...to be exact, the sun of later Summer.

I think Snow Angel likes her morning sun, but not hotter afternoon sun. She likes shade.

I cut back all the brown leaves and stems and give it a good watering each week. Mine has perked back up. You may need to move the two to more shade if they get too much sun. I am trying to get mine to tolerate a little afternoon sun because I like the location next to the other heuchs it is grouped with. This tough love worked for my Lime Rickey, but not working for Sunspot to well.

Good luck!

Rose

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Maybe that is why I have lost Snow Angel twice. I had her planted in full sun.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll try to plant them a bit deeper as suggested, and if they don't perk up soon, I'll move them.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I got some Snow Angel plugs in a co-op this spring. I replanted them into 4' pots and they have been in almost complete shade since. They all look great! Must be the shade. I usually order more plugs than I actually want because I expect that they won't all make it. I haven't lost a single one.

Thornton, IL

My lady's mantle (alchemilla mollis) stretch like that in the heat, I think if you just trimmed it where it got sunburned and possibly move it into more shade, it will be fine. Both plants like to heave, just tap it back in with your toe if you see it trying to escape, lol.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I cut a several purple palace down to the ground winter before last and they came back with hugh leafs and compact form. I think I will do that somemore this year.

As far as a heuchera getting leggy,I think they all do that. You can see them sending down roots and cut those section off and they will produce new plants. Heucherella and Tiarella do not seem to do that very much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.