caladiums, too late for this year?

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hello! I've fallen love with caladiums after trying a small bag I bought on a clearance rack earlier this spring. Now I wonder, is it too late to start new ones?

Thanks for your help!

Cathy in Bridgeton (st louis county)
zone 5

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I would say it is too late this year. I start mine inside about March because it takes them so long to show. I then plant them out after all danger of frost. They are at thier best now and will start dying down about Sept. I dig up the bulbs, wash them and dry them and put them in dry wood shavings until next year. Bev

Thank you for the information, Bev. One question, do you store them in the basement, garage or somewhere else during the winter? Cathy

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Just in an extra room I have in the house where I keep everything that I do not have room for. You do not want them to freeze. Here are mine. Bev

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Very pretty, I'm going to have to get some mixed colors now, lol.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I got some bulbs on sale about 3 weeks ago and they are now poking thru the soil in a planter. If nothing else, they are being fed and not drying out in a bag.

Well leaflady, I'm going to hit the stores tomorrow looking for sales. My garden area is very protected, things last even during early frosts, so I could have 3 months at least! Thanks for the update.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.