Stevia?

Round Lake, IL(Zone 5a)

Hello...was wondering if anyone grows this. I hear it can be used as a substitute for sugar (?). Can someone confirm or deny this....and then, how can I get a hold of this little gem?

Wentworth, SD(Zone 4a)

I can't help you with the name right now, but I have a catalog at home that has stevia in it along with a book of recipes. I will look when I get home and if no one else has an answer, I will give you the info.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Stevia can be used as a sugar substitute, or so I've been told. We experimented with it a bit in one of my horticulture classes, just the teeniest tiniest bit is overwhelmingly sweet, but in my opinion left an awful after taste. I have never used it in recipes but know people have. I know someone out there will have lots of info. I have seen it offered by quite a few herb companies, try doing a search on the net.

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

I have been growing it and using it for the last 7 years . It is easy to start from cuttings if you can locate a plant ; usually you can find a local grower dabbling in it . Seeds do not germinate very well so cuttings are the way to go . STEVIA ; zero calories and regulates blood sugar ...what more can you ask ?? ...used for a 1000 years by the SA Native people .

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Stevia is said to be 300 times sweeter than sugar. It's used, primarily, in two forms: crushed dried leaves, or a synthesized white powder.

In Japan it's been a staple sweetener in diet softdrinks and such for many years. It is supposed to be a good sugar substitute for diabetics.

The FDA, in one of it's usual double-talk decisions, will not approve it for such use. It is classed as a diet supplement and can be used as such, but not as a food product. Considering that you put both of them in your mouth, I don't understand the difference. Apparently, it is safe enough for you to put in your coffee, but not safe for Coke or Pepsi to do the same thing. Or so FDA would have us believe.

Anyway, plants are available from several catalogs. But they don't come cheap. I just saw a listing: four plants for $20 in a medicinals herb catalog.

I understand from friends who grow it that it will not winter over, even in zone 9. What they do over the winter is keep taking cuttings and propagating them. When that plant shows signs of biting the dust, they start a new one from it.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

I grew it for two years and then forgot to protect it this winter but I am going to get more, it is a must have for me!

Dequincy, LA(Zone 8b)

I am going to try growing stevia plants. There is info available on the internet - use keyword stevia to search. The plants are very pricey. Herbal Advantage sells 4 stevia plants in 2.5" pots for $20.00 and 1 flat of 70 stevia rooted liners for $54.00. I ordered the stevia supersweet leaves and the taste is good if you put a few leaves in your coffee grounds then drip the water. I haven't tried it with tea yet, but I'm sure it tastes okay in tea also. You can use the leaves to make your own concentrated extract and directions come with the leaves. I am taking a Master Gardener Volunteer class and the horticulturist who is teaching the class is going to order the 70 rooted cuttings for us to split. I have a greenhouse, so I will be able to take cuttings and overwinter the plants, hopefully. I live in SW Louisiana, so I am hoping this will be a good herb to grow down here. The web site is http://www.HerbalAdvantage.com Redbug

Kansas City , MO(Zone 6a)

If you are interested in trying to grow from seed, I just got some from Pinetree (www.superseeds.com) (or something close to that) I think the pack cost $.95

Cockeysville, MD(Zone 6a)

I bought stevia seeds from Richter's in Canada and they are just coming up. I started them on a heating mat. This is my third attempt and this last batch I finally had better luck after reading that they need light to germinate. Alot of the materials that I had collected neglected to mention this. I am very excited to try it! I moved my seedlings to my basement (with the tomato seedlings) under lights. It is coldish down there but fine for tomatoes. Can anyone tell me if it might be too cold for the stevias or are they adaptable to cooler temps? I can always move a heating mat under them. Connie in MD

St. augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

I am going to try this for the first time this year. I bought seeds from Park seeds. They also sell the plants. (the weird thing is the first catalogue I got from them only had the plants; the second had both plants and seeds) I don't remember the price of the plants, but you could get individual plants from them (I think about $4?).

Wentworth, SD(Zone 4a)

Johnny's also has it in thier catalog.

Lancaster, CA

Hi all,

Brook it can be overwintered WITH protection in usda 8a (that's me) but not without protection. I used a WOW last couple years, that works well. This winter used a HEAVY layer of grass clippings I'll know if it worked in the next couple months.

Temps as low as 55 are certainly fine for indoor growing. Bright light is required and a somewhat dry potting mix. Don't keep em too wet. Please keep us posted on the seedlings. Germination %, what soil mix you used etc. I'm really curious

Chris

This message was edited Wednesday, Mar 21st 11:20 AM

Round Lake, IL(Zone 5a)

Boy am I glad you all responded! What a wealth of information this is! I do think I will try the plant out. It has wonderful potential...in addition to intrigue for me.

Thanks!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Just wanted to let ya'll know I started some Stevia from seeds 5 days ago...they are up and taking off! (They were from Pinetree seeds company.) I believe I had such good luck because I just barely covered them (put your soil mix in a flat, lightly wet it, sprinkle the seeds on top, then put a very light layer of potting soil over them...best way to cover them "lightly" is to use a metal kitchen strainer, or seive...put your soil in it and shake it over the flat). My seeds were on a heat mat. I'd give it a try folks...sure was cheaper than those plants in the catalogs!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I've been growing Stevia from plants for about 3 years and using it in limited cooking(we use NOW powder and liquid) for about 5 years. My DH is a severe diabetic. We don't see that it regulated his BG any, but it did replace the aspertame and sacchrine. That relieved his headaches and other aspertame side effects. Here in central MO-zone 5-it isn't hardy and must be brought inside the house. We do find it has a strong honey type flavor. One thing I will warn you about. NEVER let it go to seed or it will die quickly. Keep all signs of blooms picked off. It won't hurt to prune it back once or twice a summer to about half its height. The stems are also very sweet and nice to chew on when you want something sweet in your mouth.

Montevideo, MN(Zone 4a)

HHmmmmm......hate to be beggar but would anyone be willing to part w/a couple of cuttings for a price(oops can i say that?)or a trade or.....?
Lmk, Jen

Kearney, NE(Zone 5a)

I planted Stevia seeds 2-8-01. I had very good germination. I lightly covered seeds and kept them warm. No bottom heat was used. I repotted 3-13-01 and every thing looks good. This is my first time with this plant. I hope to use it as a sugar substitute. My seeds were bought from Johnny's. I liked the suggestion not to let it go to seed.
any more suggestions??

This message was edited Saturday, Mar 17th 10:02 AM

i bought some seed as well from richter seeds in canada....the germination was excellent and they were sprouting within a week...the seedlings are growing really really fast.it is amazing how sweet those little leaves are. i have a couple of plants which are just big enough to take leaves from now and i have tried a few in my tea. i love this herb!!!!lauren

Round Lake, IL(Zone 5a)

Hmmmm....seeds. I have had some luck with starting some seeds, but no luck with others. If these are tricky, I am not sure I want to set myself up for failure. :)
Might try to see if there's any cuttings up on the "trading block."

Rookie :)

Riverton, NJ

ROOKIE
HEY JEN.....you can get stevia from one of our Graden.com chatters *LEAVES* her business is called
NO thyme productions
www.nothyme.com
tell Nancy that Brassica sent ya
((HOW"S the babes jen)))
love jeannie

Hi

Stevia is banned here in Britain, our food agency aren't happy with some health implications for sections of the population. Although I'm sure many people use it without any health problems or potential problems, they want to play it safe. This may also be the reason the USDA don't want it sold as a food. There is speculation that stevia is banned here (and the reason for usda restrictions) is because of the sugar markets.

I'm no expert on government agency policies or their reasons for doing whatever they decide to do, I only klnow that its a rule here.

Louisville, IL(Zone 6a)

Baa,
What kind of health implications are we talking about? I'm thinking that health implications from stevia can't be any worse than some of the artificial sweetners or even sugar for that matter. Leave it to the gavernment.

Infertility is a main concern. I'll see if I can dig up the info I found on the web a couple of months ago.

Zabrina

It would appear we cannot eat anything these days without health implications. I want to make it clear that I've in no way suggested that stevia is a bad thing, I just thought it might be a point of interest to some. As for leaving things to the government, we have learned the hard way recently as to what they are capable of in this country.

I've included the web site as promised.
http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/press_releases/statements/st000605.htm

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

All this talk about stevia, has my curiosity really piqued to try it. Could anyone be talked in to trading a plant for oh.. say..a hosta...or some violets..Sandy

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

Stevia has been utilized as a sweetener for 1000 years with no health implications . It is far healthier alternative than the regular sugars that most of us consume by the truck load ; zero calorie with no tooth decay . Grow it and use it cause it ROCKS !!! :) Rock On !!!

Knoxville, TN

Hey
I got 24 baby stevia cutting for you guys,maybe in a couple of weeks they will be rooted enought to send out,I told
the little darlings to hurry,cause there's alot of herbies out there needing them. Nana

Wentworth, SD(Zone 4a)

Lewis Drug had several plants for sale here for under $5. I can't remember exactly how much. I bought one. Maybe should have gotten a couple. Oops. :) I hope I can keep from killing it. Mick

I have to say, I think that the government is a bit mixed up. We can genetically engineer our food without knowing how it will really affect people. We can feed cattle (herbivores) tainted meat in their feed and growth hormones (all of which get passed on to the people who eat them). We can even have sweeteners that may cause cancer. All of these things are un-natural. But use some natural herbs and OH NO! Sorry just venting here. I make sure that I study up on any herbs that I will be using since I am pretty new to this. I won't get on my soap box any more today.

This message was edited Sunday, May 27th 9:38 AM

Riverton, NJ

I was so impressed with what i am seeing here,,,I have been Illegally growing stevia for about 6 yrs in the USA,,,,yes it was illegal here till about 2 yrs ago! Thanks to the FDA!....who will allow genetically altered foods,,but not a pure sweetner!!~(((*thanks to the Nutra- Sweet lobby!*))

Garden Rookie,,,,i'm so pleased to see how you have grown in knowledge!!YOU deserve a big metal of honor for your achievements. Stevia has many neat properties and can be used in so many ways,,Please keep experminting,and telling others of the neat tastes of stevia!! Believe me it is as safe as Basil,,,and we have not put a ban on basil??

Happy Herbaling
jeannie
need more stevia info email me at brassica@juno.com
ps,,,anyone every ask the nutra sweet lobby,,how many *rats* and small diabetic *children* have died because of Nutra sweet? {nutra sweet causes brain seizures in small children}NO DIET drinks for children under age 7

I know you can buy stevia in powder or liquid at www.steviacanada.com There is no aftertaste this way.

Also, can anyone tell me why I cannot seem to get my cuttings to survive? Cuttings from other plants do well, but the Stevia always droops and dies. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Lake Forest, CA(Zone 9a)

Just tried this herb for the first time this year. Bought the seedling at my local nursery. The Green Thumb. Good Luck..Hope you, found one!

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 8th 12:34 AM

Knoxville, TN

I have some exta if anyone needs one
luv nana

Thank you for all the info very helpful' I haven't started my stevia yet but know more now than just reading the packet' Hope I can do it, sounds like a challenge and that's right up my alley,LOL'See ya,Sis''Z5(NE KS)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.