What's going on today?

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

So far we've had a wildlife morning here in Framingham. On our morning walk, Andrew and I encountered a live cicada, which tickled Andrew's nose, and a garter snake, which escaped between his paws. When we got home, we found this guy in the blueberry bushes.....

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

And this one in the back yard....

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

This huge dragonfly was by the front steps....

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

And this guy was stirring up the party in the pond....

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Andrew thought it was all very funny

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

What a wild and wonderfull morning. Thanks for sharing. :)

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

But Lynn the cat was not amused....

I hope you've enjoyed the show.
Tamberlin & Andrew

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

You are welcome!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Andrew is beautiful!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh Deb, it's great!!!! I have not seen any humminbird yet.... just tons of jb.... and bees!!!! Andrew looks so good!!!!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Kassia,
Its turning into a wildlife refuge over here! I kept wondering where the goldfinches and squirrels had gone too. Then I found out... I have a pair of Cooper's or Sharpshinned hawks that have been hunting the neighborhood all week. They are pretty hard to miss.
Andrew is missing his buddy Ben (see picture) and the beach. I've still got jbs (way too many - yech), but lots and lots of bees and butterflies on the hyssop and butterfly bushes. Despite the heat, i love this time of year. I've been eating my own tomatoes and blueberries all week!

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

We have two kinds of hawks here. They keep missing the monster bunny though. "Over here, he's over here in my garden"...they don't listen. There does seem to be fewer and fewer mourning doves though. Your kitty looks suitably above it all. Gotta luv cats.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Lynn the cat is the Queen. Andrew has given up bringing her tennis balls. They are beneath her notice.
Give her some catnip though, and the Queen gets a little tipsy!

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Looks like you and Andrew had a great commune with nature this morning. I have yet to see a waterlogged Retreiver that was not happy:)

(Zone 4a)

Hahahaha I loved your picture story tamberlin!!! What cute little fur balls too! I just love the expression on your cats face...typical of cats hehehe!!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

tamberlin-love your puppy!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh Ben is so cute.... can't believe it....oh I want to hug him!!!!

I have been eating my tomatoes, cucumbers, zuccinis.... so good... my hyssop died.... the eucaliptus is doing really well... smells so good!!!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

We are up here at the beach in Maine. You would not believe how beautiful her roses are here this morning. Most of the bushes are on their second flush - some on their third. Would you believe NO JBs!!!!
I guess the bugs don't like the sea air!
Have a great morning -
PS: I'm hoping Ben and Lance (his daddy) will be spending the winter with me. 3 golden retrievers in one house!

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

really!!!! no jbs???? oh I would love it... right now my roses are all very small... they look like miniature roses with long legs... so strange!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

really!!!! no jbs???? oh I would love it... right now my roses are all very small... they look like miniature roses with long legs... so strange!

oh I am jealous of Andrew... and Ben... that's a good life!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Kassia,
I'm fighting black spot and jbs - hopefully both will be gone soon. The air around my garden smells nasty as I poured the latest batch of alfalfa tea all around. Hopefully it will rain soon and dilute the stench!
See you soon!
Deb

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

my garden smelled like wet tabacco yesterday.... I am making tabacco water to fight black spot... I applied to some roses and they have no more black spot... it this goes ok, that's my cheap solution...

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

How do you make tabacco water? and how do you use it?
Is it bad for bees?
Deb

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

well, get some tabacco put in water for a few days until its smells and the water is dark as fountaing cok!

... I got a can from my neighboor... and you spray for black spot and powdery mildew... no the bees don't suffer... I think they like it... spray on leaves - both sides...

it's what the native brazilians use for their crops - leafy veggies and everything else... I got a headache after... the tabacco I got was very sweet... lol!!! I have powdery mildew starting on my cucumbers and zuccinis... so I sprayed everything... and it's raining now.... oh welll ...

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Do you mean like pipe tobacco? Its the only kind that I can think of that would come in a can....

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

yes... is the only one I have found... here is a picture...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

You know, to the non-gardeners out there, we must seem like a bunch of alchemists or witches, brewing up our "potions" for the garden!
I'll give the tobacco mix a try!
Thanks Kassia

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

Careful the tobacco mix can hurt tomatoes.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I was curious about this too and googled it - http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg0420064125565.html .

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

The tomatoes are just about done - ie: producing fruit and it's ripening. so far no nasty bugs on them.
Mostly my problems are blackspot and Jbs. Usually I just wait out the Jbs, but I do try to spray (weather permitting) for blackspot.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Some disease wiped out my whole patch of hollyhocks. They grew fairly tall then just turned brown. Didn't actually die (or very slowly) but never bloomed. Any ideas?

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Mine bloomed, but not very well. Really really bad rust this year despite spraying. I think I'll have to hold the hollyhocks for a year or two until I'm sure I've killed off all the remaining spores.....
They are like brown sticks right now - no seed pods, no leaves. I'm going to go pull them up today.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

well, in Brazil is still a practice to use tobacco water... sometimes you can add a mild soap too... I think the secreat is not to overuse... so far I have plenty of bees and all kinds of insects... too bad it doesn't kill jb!!!! I try to go as organic as I can... the only thing I used (very dituted) was miracle gro for roses... and gave the brugs plenty of it... since they are in pots I figure is not harmfull .... and they attract so many bees!!!!

I have some hollyhocks just beginning to grow... and also lupines and columbines... really weird that they are growing now.... I don't think they will have time to bloom this year... well I planted from seed... maybe that's the problem...

no problems on my tomatoes... just on cukes and zuccinis...

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

Good morning Kassia. My HH are not blooming yet either. If they do not bloom this year, does that mean they won't bloom next year ??

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh I don't know... the only thing I read is that they don't bloom the first year they are planted from seeds...

today is so humid... I am already thinking of how bad is the for the roses... and my cukes and zuccinis... but the grass is happy... at least mine is!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.