Agastache Auranitica

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

My first attempt at growing agastaches, it is pretty.

Thumbnail by annette68

The flower stem.

Thumbnail by annette68

Really nice, I see the ID in the title (DUH!) LOL

Joseph

This message was edited Aug 11, 2007 10:42 AM

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Beautiful Flower Annette. I bet you start growing a bunch of these soon. They are so awesome. I just received two in the mail today, Golden Jubilee and Apricot Sprite. I cannot get enough of these things. The flowers are gorgeous and the leaves smell so good.

I, like Joseph above, would love to know which one that is.

Leslie

That one is I do believe Agastache Auranitiaca 'navajo sunset', that is what I received the seeds as. I sowed them earlier this year, I have also received seeds off the following that I am trying, they have some great names.

Agastache 'Licourice Blue'
Agastache Urticifolia Alba
Agastache 'Golden Jubilee'
Agastache 'Blue Delight'
Agastache Cana
Agastache Scrophueriifolia (purple)Germinated

These will keep me busy for a while. I sure do sow a lot off seeds:)

Annette

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Annette I have the Cana above. I bought the plant and it is not blooming yet so don't know what it would look like. But it is interesting you grew that from seed. I try a bunch of different seeds and none work out too well. The only luck I have had so far this year was moonflower and it grew great big beautiful leaves. So I planted them in the garden and immediately something started eating the leaves. Go figure. I would love to be able to start a bunch of stuff with seeds, so much cheaper. Any secrets you have to give about how to be successful doing that. I have also had a little luck with morning glories, just planting them in the ground, they have come up quite well. But no luck with planting in the little pots and going from there.

Anyway beautiful flower and to have grown from seed is just amazing to me.

Leslie

Hi Leslie,

I did get the Cana to flower, it has pink flowers,pretty.

The thing I do with seeds is I treat them like salvias and I surface sow them, I sowed chocolate flowers and eyeball plant like this and they have now germinated. I find with a seed grown plant they are a stronger plant for me than brought plants that have been propagated.

I use a seed raising mix that is quite sandy and loamy, these are started in individual tubepots, 2 seeds per tubepots, as soon as they have their 2 true leaves I replant into the next tubepot up. I than use a superior potting mix that they go wild in and just love and grow.

It is really easy growing from seed, just practise a little, get some salvia coccinea seeds, these germinate easily and are great guinea pigs to practise on.

Happy Germinating, the sky is the limit:)

Annette from the Beautiful Tropics.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey, people, try WINTERSOWING your seeds. Nobody will eat them and they won't get overrun with _____ (

Thumbnail by carrielamont

Annette, do you really get winter where you live? LOL

London, United Kingdom

No, she does not!!!!! The lovely Annette does not understand the meaning of the word "FROST". (Just puts ice in drinks!)

How I wish it were the same here!

Robin.

Ok I admit I bypass winter here, it is winter now, todays max is 25 degrees celcius and the minimum is going to be 14 degrees. You guys keep the frost I have seen what it does to beloved salvias , yikes evil stuff:)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey racing fans, I went out and checked the agastache that I wintersowed - perennials usually don't bloom until the second year from seed in this FROSTY climate - anyway it's the agastache "Navajo Sunset" so it might look like Annette's next summer.

xx, Carrie

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm having to enjoy your agastaches via your great pictures. My attempt to grow them did not result in success. Spindly thing with one or two flowers a couple of months ago. The rain, the soil, the heat and humidity, I don't know but it wasn't a good thing...

Here's my Agastache aurantiaca grown from seed. I need to find the seed packet to see if it has a "name".

Joseph

Thumbnail by
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Mmm, pretty.

xx, C

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Very nice, Joseph! You have such wonderful varieties!
Bev

Thanks, Bev and Carrie. I was delighted to see this one flower up the first year from seeds.

Joseph

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

I am going to attempt to wintersow this winter. Wish me luck. Yall have made it sound so easy so I am going to give it a try. I hope it works because that would be awesome. So far of all the seeds I have tried this year I have three moonflower vines in the yard. Everythign else either did not come up, came up with two spindly little things and they died. I tried about 10 varieties including salvia, balloon flower, cannot remember the rest but really did not have luck with anything except the moonflower. So I am happy with that but hoping wintersowing treats me a lot better.

Leslie

I wishing you luck from the land down under:)Practise makes Perfect.

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks Annette. I will need all your luck and my luck put together as I have never done well with seeds. But I won't know if I don't try.

Leslie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey!!!!! The Agastache Auritania that I wintersowed has been BLOOMING for the past couple weeks!!!! My camera needs batteries or I'd post a picture. But it looks just like Annette's!

x, C

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.