My Parade of Homes Design

West Jordan, UT

I did a post about this awhile back but I think I messed it up and it never posted. In any case, I'm posting a scan of the plan I did for a local Parade of Homes house. I did it for free through my volunteer work with our local water conservation district. The point of the design is to show that even if everyone reduced their lawn area by half, we'd save a great deal of water. Part of the area that appears to be lawn in the back yard is in fact a synthetic putting green- not something I would usually put on a plan but the POH goers seem to like this kind of ammenity.

In any case, after spending a lot of time and getting a lot of commitments for reduced cost or free landscape products (the district did this part, not me), the builder bailed. I think he was thinking he'd get a totally free landscape since he way overspent on the house. Nope. In any case, the landscape contractor is supposedly not installing my design at all- it's too detailed or too hard or whatever. So, while I'm not out anything but my time (about 30 hours) I've learned a very good lesson. My plan was supposed to be displayed with information on waterwise landscaping and, of course, my business cards- I'm not completely philanthropic! LOL!

As long as whatever they installed is not my plan or parts thereof, I guess I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned. If, however, they installed a substantial portion of my design but screwed me out of the credit- I'm going to be very ticked off. I'm sure there's nothing I can do about it now. I'm waiting until after the parade is over to go and see. I'm not going to pay admission to find out if they screwed me over.

Anyway, I know the plant list is illegible but that's kind of how I want it. SO, since none of the intended audience will ever see the plan, I think I'll post it here.

Thumbnail by bindersbee
This thread has 8 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!