Astilbe

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

My Atilbe has cooked in this unusual heat. It wasn't in the direct sun, never the less, it's leaves curled and turned brown and crispy.
My question is; is the rootball still alive? Shall I leave it or start looking for a replacment for next year. I'd hate to throw it out if it will come back.
Has anyone seen this happen?

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 9:30 AM

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

so it's not dead Sis?

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 9:30 AM

Agawam, MA

Gwydion,
Last year mine did the same thing. I assumed it was dead and started to plant something else there this spring - I found new shoots coming up when I dug and it came back and bloomed. I can't say for sure, but there still may be hope!

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

Thanks Sis and Cindy. I'm going to leave it till spring and keep my fingers crossed. With the extreme summer we have had here I hate to think of what the winter holds for us......

Park Hill, OK(Zone 5b)

I have only grown it a few years here in hot summer Mo. and I assumed that was what it naturally did. I would think it will survive.

Wiarton, Canada(Zone 5b)

Gwydion hi;I work part time for a grower(perennials).Their astilbes got a bit dried out in this heat and took on that awful "how did I let this happen" look-we cut them down to just the stems if there were only crispy leaves,watered them well and set them in to a partly shaded area in their pots-your astilbe will be fine.Too much standing water on a plant's roots will kill it quicker than a dry spell-that throws the plant into dormancy.Hope this helps a bit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.