Extra large moonflower???

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Has anyone had a moonflower bud/s that seem to be a lot larger then normal? I'm posting two photos , One with a pic of a normal sized moonflower bud and one with a larger moonflower bud, I used a ciggaret butt to kind of show the size difference ( It's all I had available to use at the time) Anyways, I was wondering if this difference was a normal thing that happens once in a while or if it's something thats unusual?? .....First photo, Normal size bud...

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

pic #2.. Larger size...

Thumbnail by IRIS
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

The first picture is a picture of a bloom about to open...the second picture is a picture of a pod that is forming, from the result of a pollinated flower.
Once the pod dries and turns brown, you can crack it open and there will be seeds inside.
:0)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

seedpicker, Thanks, But, Thats not what I mean, I know that the first pic is a bloom about to open, but, What I was trying to show, Was, The size of the pod (?) that the bloom comes from, A better way to explain it, Is, Look below the bloom thats about to open and notice the size of the pod (?), Then look at the second picture and the size difference.
I'm adding another photo with them both together for a better view of what I mean...

Thumbnail by IRIS
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Moon flower seeds are large, hence the large seed pod.........is that what you're getting at?

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

azreno, Are some pods alot bigger then others on the same vine?

seedpicker, I didn't find a chart on that link.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

You may have some pods with one seed or others with 3 but they should be about the same size.

It seems as if you're comparing flower buds with seeds pods though and that's a bit like apples and oranges.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

azreno, That must be what I'm doing, But, I thought because there was a point (tip) on the pod like there is on the ones that are going to bloom that it was just a bigger bud, ! (Hope I said that right)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

There is one that looks like it might be a seed pod, but it would be one just beginning to develop if it is.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

azreno, Is pic #2 above a seed pod?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

#2 is absolutely a seed pod.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thankyou, Now I know for sure what it is. ~I actually thought it was going to be a bud. This is my first time at actualy growing moon flowers so I don't know that much about it. ~Thanks for the info! :)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

And now you're gonna have more! I love when I'm growing something new and learning how it grows.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

When are the seed pods ready?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

When they turn brown.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

ok, Thanks :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.