Planting second crop of peas?

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Is it possible to tear out my pea plants and plant a second crop? If I can find any seeds! I live in zone 4a or will it be too warm to start them? Not enough days left?
Thanks! Just a wild thought I had. I know it can be done with beans.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Territorial Seed has a special section on their web site for fall crops, and it includes peas.

http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/Winter_Varieties_C12.cfm

In your zone, you should probably be planting them now.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

LTilton thanks for the info. I can't get into town for a couple of days but when I do I plan on looking for some seeds. It sure doesn't hurt to try!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Meanwhile, get your planting area wet and immediately cover the row with grass clippings, newspapers or something to keep the soil cool. I just planted a second crop in the grass clipping mulch from the first crop, and they are coming up. We have had about 3 weeks of 90+ weather, and when I mentioned that I had this crazy thought about planting peas in the mulch, and wishing I had another packet of seeds, a generous DG person mailed me some!

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

MaryE I planted the seed last night. Was surprised to find some at farm and fleet. Anyway no grass clippings. No grass to cut it is too dry. Will keep that in mind for next year.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

MaryE my peas are up and looking good. Suppose to get up to 93 today. We will see how they handle it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.