I want to see everyone's seedlings...here are mine

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

These are pictures of the seedlings I have grown from seed planted this Winter. I have so many that made it and I am so excited about all of the possiblities...lol

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Another tray...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

and another...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Last one...

Can someone who does this and knows about when to transplant etc. give me some instructions on what to do from here...lol should they be potted up now in separate containers or left to grow on till Winter or Fall? Thanks so much...

Susan, how about yours? Are they still doing well?

Thumbnail by JanetS
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I've always been put off because I don't know if I have the room, plus overwintering the plants.

My Exotica set seed so I'm going to have a go.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I figured I could always keep them in pots...lol I can't wait to see what some of these produce...I have fallen in love with these plants!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, here are pictures of my bulbs! We transplanted 50 into pots today!

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are my helpers!

Thumbnail by JanetS
Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Something else I meant to say, but forgot, in the last post.

From seed you will find quite a bit of variation in the speed of growth - some seedlings will zoom off right from the start and you will find yourself with something which resembles a respectable daffodil bulb in twelve months. Others will sulk and increase quite slowly. Some of my Dad's seedlings would flower in their second year; most would be flowering size in three to five years; and there are a few which have reached the age of 10 or so without doing anything other than stick up two or three leaves each summer and then go back to sleep! There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this, it just depends on the genetics of the individual seedling. Of course in the wild, this type of behavioural spread makes a lot of sense - in a good season the fast growing variants can take off and get a head start on the next generation, while in a bad year, they might perish, leaving their slower, smaller siblings to carry on when things improve.

Another thing you might want to know is that the first flower on a young bulb is often only a small taste of what the bulb can do as an adult. Most of my initial flowers were a single spike of about 18 inches or less with only two or three florets - five years later the same bulbs are more then 4 inches in diameter and routinely make 2 or 3 five floret spikes which top out near three feet and carry individual flowers which can exceed 10 inches in diameter.

I've posted a fair bit on this forum in the past, talking about my Dads plants and so on. If you are interested have a look here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/711621/ I wish you all the best with your babies, TTFN, Kaelkitty.

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Here are some crosses I'm growing out for Joan. They are about 1.5 inches tall. I will leave these here until next spring. I will then plant them in 4" pots and some in full sun beds, depending on how big they get this year. I've got them in part sun now but next year they will go to full sun.

Ohh... forgot to mention that the seedlings on the left are seeds off of my variegated zinnia sport. Some of the have variegation in the new sets of leaves. It will be interesting to see if I get any variegated zinnias to grow to maturity.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2007 10:57 AM

Thumbnail by flowerjunkie
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Very nice seedlings! Good luck with them and let us know how they go...

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

These are from seeds I got from 9Kitty. I had three, but one has disappeared. I will save the pot as it may have gone dormant. I don't know when I will transplant them inground, maybe next Spring.

Thumbnail by vossner
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Nery, that would be my guess as well...dormancy...I guess it is a wait and see thing for sure, wait and see how large the bulb is etc....so I don' t know how long mine will be in pots either..maybe I will let mine bloom once and wee what I will keep...since I have FIFTY! LOL

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I assume these are not hardy in zone 7a?
I grew some from seed also from a St. Patrick's Day seed swap. I have a group of them, but nothing like 50. LOL
I will keep them in pots for now. I just repotted the majority to a larger pot. It was nice and easy transplanting the little bulbs. So much easier that having to deal with a bunch of immature roots some plants put out.
I started them in April indoors under lights. Then I took the jiffy pots and placed them side by side in a plastic container I kept about an inch of water in. I forgot all about them with the drought, but since they had the plastic container they took in water from when I watered the lawn. I kept a smaller pot in the utility room under lights now and the rest in the big pot are still outdoors in the shade.
They started out being seeds from Lemon Lime variety. I never grew amaryllis before so am looking forward to seeing flowers some ways down the line.
I also grew four iris seeds that are doing well in the ground permanently.
I am afraid to bring them indoors since I have cats and I think they are poisonous to cats.Mine like to nibble on anything at least once.
It should be fun watching them grow all the way to maturity.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Here are the pictures taken today for you. The indoor ones looking better out of the scorching heat.

Thumbnail by Windy
Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

And the ones I left outdoors in the bigger pot. They are already full of debris from the winds we had this afternoon.

Thumbnail by Windy
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Very nice! I am just so excited...to think they came from thos wispy seeds we started! LOL

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

nice, Windy. I had mine in full sun also and finally had to put in shade.

Janet, 50 seedlings! are they all the same or diff. crosses

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Different crosses!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I have some babies from last year also. I started them out in 4" pots. I plan on putting them in the ground eventually. I'll try to find a picture. This one is from the end of July....a month ago.

I watered them with the miracle grow liquid feeder and they loved it. They grew and grew. I couldn't believe how much in such a short time.

From what I've read it takes four years to get a bloom. So I'll just be patient.

I love my babies! I like yours too!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Looking great! I haven't put "food" in mine yet...I guess I should...hmmmm Thanks for sharing...looks like you have quite a few as well!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Janet, only 21. I still have five or six from last year, and lots of seeds to plant from this year when it cools off some. It's been a joy watching them grow! The ones from 2 years ago were some of the first things I ever grew from seed, so that was totally inspiring! I have just been amazed at how fast they took off after giving them the liquifeed every week!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Won't it be SUCH FUN when we get blooms and see what we have..lol Mine are all crosses except for a few Orange Sovereign which I self pollenated, and I only have one tray that I actually didn't get them all mixed up together, so I only know one's trays parents for sure..lol But I can't wait to see what they do.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Definately! One of mine was a self pollenation of a solid red, then some were a cross with a lt red or pink with a white stripe crossed with my red, so it will definately be interesting.

The seeds I have are all bee pollinated so I would think they were selfed, but who knows!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.