help me ID...

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I don't have a clue what it is... well, my only thought was that maybe it was an old black walnut thingy. I pulled this out of my son's jacket pocket. At first I thought it was a rock. Anybody know what it is? I told him I'd ask y'all here.

Harper

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

looks like a seed alrighty.. maybe fruit instead of nut??

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Oh, man. I didn't tell you what size it is. It's probably 3" across. Tomorrow I'll post a pic of it next to a ruler.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Oh crap.. Not a fruit seed.. That's huge for a seed. Dude.. Way out of this newbies leagues..

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Younger walnuts will be oblong like that.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Do the walnuts shrivel up like that too, Al?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

It's a peach pit.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Jen, you sure?? I though the same thing but Harper said it's like three inches long.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

It's definitely not a peach pit. I'll take a photo of it tomorrow in the daylight with a ruler.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That was my first thought before I even pulled up the thread and looking at it looks exactly like one. We have really big peaches here, I'll have to measure the pit next time I eat one. Was it 3" diameter??? If it's 3" LONG then I have no idea.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

OOPs, I was typing while you were posting.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

It's okay Jen! It's got a greenish, bumpy skin to it. I might cut it open. My son found it at his camp.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes, I grew up with walnuts in our yard - Note to others:Walnuts are not good trees to have IN your yard.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Did you get a few lumps on your head from walnuts Al? I have an Oak tree that wings acorns at me every fall and gives me lumps.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

One lump or two?LOL

No, but if you didn't keep up with picking up the nuts in the fall they would make a mushy mess.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Lots and lots o' lumps!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Okay, I took a picture of it outside with a ruler. What was I thinking when I said it was 3"?? It's not quite 2". Well, maybe it shrank a little. It looks like it's turning more brown.

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

another view

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Maybe it's an immature prune or something??? like before it changed colors?? That can shrivel right??

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That's a walnut that just didn't develop fully.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Thanks Al. That's what I thought. Solved!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Harper, It may be what's left of my brain.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Eeeewwww. Does it rattle around in there? Kids driving you nuts? Why is your brain in such bad condition?

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

It looks like a butternut to me , we had one in our yard for years . It is in the juglone family same as walnuts.
laura

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Oh, no! I was set on believing it was a black walnut. Now you've thrown me off course, LOL!

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

sorry, I think they are edible, when you crack them open you can see the resemblence to a walnut but w/ very little meat . My sons used to hit them out into the woods behind our house with a baseball bat . I could not grow vegtables in my back yard because of that juglone! last year a good stiff wind knocked it down I kind of miss it but I am looking forward to someday being able to have a veggie garden out back.
laura

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

It's okay. I was just teasing you. I know it's difficult to grow things under those trees. I think my son might hit his with a baseball bat too!

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

I was thinking butternut.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Two votes for butternut now... anyone for a third?

Thanks Oriole!! Nice name.

Butternut crack it open and see.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Okay... gotta find it first.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.