Bells

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

I don't know if you've heard this one, but...

A small town church is looking for a new person to help with some of the custodial work and to ring the bell before services each Sunday. They run an ad for a couple of weeks, but none of the applicants seem qualified. One day a complete stranger walks in off the street, and asks to speak to the pastor.

The stranger says "I'm new here in town, but I saw your ad in the paper and I'd like to apply for the job."

The pastor is hesitant and a bit uncomfortable, because although he likes the spirit and attitude of the job applicant, the man has very large casts on both arms, apparently from some sort of serious accident. The pastor subtly asks him how he will be able to fulfill all the responsibilities of the job.

The job applicant says, "Oh, don't worry, I can do anything anybody else can do and, frankly, a lot better than most people." In terms of ringing the church bell, the applicant says: "I'll just go up to the bell tower, run straight at it face first, and let it ring." The pastor says he really needs to see this. Sure enough, the applicant runs at the bell and soon the pastor hears the most beautiful tolling from this bell he has ever heard in years. He hires the applicant on the spot, pleased to have landed such a talented person for the position.

Later when the head of the church personnel committee hears about this, she asks somewhat aghast: "Do you even know who this stranger is?"

The pastor says, "Well, I don't know his name but his face rings a bell."

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!