DG Electronic Floral Show "Summer Holiday"

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Tis the season for enjoying a summer "get away" and perhaps you will want to create a floral arrangement that somehow captures the "Summer Holiday" theme. Take your time, enjoy it (it is summer after all!), but post a photo when you are ready. Thanks!

Thumbnail by BDale60
Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Here's a link to the first installment of the DG Floral Show if you would like a little background and context:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/751393/

london England, United Kingdom

Hi BDale , things are getting busy now! I think it's great, thankyou.

I wish I was going somewhere exotic for my holidays! then again I think (when I get round to it)
I will make at least one that looks tropical. It's ok to dream. LoL !!

Can I just suggest that any kind of 'land art' is ok to do aswell.
I'm thinking, beach arrangements with accessories, star fish, rope, shells, seaweed etc
Tropical Islands ,coconuts,exotic fruits............................................................................................

This message was edited Jul 29, 2007 9:03 AM

I am not really going anywhere exotic this year, but I have decided to go on a dream holiday to a tropical Island. At this time of year
It is Carnival, I love to see the parade.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2007 2:13 AM

Thumbnail by terriculture
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

I see you've been busy Terri. I love your flower carnival collage! What's the grassy background?

Oh Hi Karma, It's just fabric material!

I loved the " Van Gogh's Sunflowers" float, it was really bright and sunny!

This message was edited Aug 9, 2007 2:16 AM

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

I sort of took the summer get away theme literally. We just came back from the beach empty handed but this is what I found in my garden. Zinnia buds for "us", a hollyhock floret for the umbrella, agapanthus stems for palm trees, and grass (or some kind of weed) as cattails. Hehehe, I hope you find it ummm interesting??

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Different angle

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

One more angle, I promise!!

Thumbnail by karmaplace

That's so original Karma, it really feels like a tropical place, great idea for the palm tree's . What are those little red flowers? I think you have done a great job.
The colour scheme is perfect with a good use of interesting accessories. I love the whole idea, well done!

I wonder where you are going next ?

This message was edited Aug 9, 2007 2:26 AM

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks terri. It's kind of silly now that I'm looking at it again. And I'm sure gardeners are gasping at what I did to the zinnia buds. I killed the baby zinnias...won't do it again I promise. Glad you liked it though....I'm feeling guilty right now. Oh and the orange florets belong to ioxa.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Beyond creative! I love your efforts- don't think they are unappreciated. Chaise lounges for the zinnia buds- amazing. And the colors of the festive Carnival just explode with happy variety one would find at a fun gathering. You guys are talented!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Poochella....I really APPRECIATED your comments!

Karma, df, I was so inspired by your tropical Island display.

Great news! I'm coming to join you on your Island. I will be on the next flight out of London!

See you soon

Terri

I'm still at Heathrow airport, the flight has been delayed!

Karma, You are not going to believe this,

The aircraft has been diverted to.......

/?'~'@'[#';.'@./;.'###### ##'[;''./@//'';/./.;lkj,;'#,#. @llkl;';=[[

This message was edited Aug 4, 2007 8:11 AM

Tropical Island

Materials used, Houseplants,fabrics,metalic papers, fresh&dried plant material,netting,baskets,vases and coloured transparent
cellophane.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2007 2:32 AM

It's tropical

Plant material used, dried Leucodendron, yellow roses,crocosmia,Yucca & money tree plants.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2007 2:39 AM

Tropical Island

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Sorry about /?'~'@'[#';.'@./;.'###### ##'[;''./@//'';/./.;lkj,;'#,#. @llkl;';=[[, but I see you've finally made it....and what a beautiful island! Very tropical Terri. What are the dried flowers?

Thanks Karma, I can't remember what they are! I bought them in a tropical bunch last year
and dried them, they were lovely, maybe someone else will know what they are!

Did you know that this type if floral display is called 'plants and flowers' but usually called 'pot et fleurs',a still life with plants and flowers.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2007 9:22 PM

This message was edited Aug 10, 2007 3:02 AM

Karma, have you seen the tropical gardening forum? I love the colours over there.

Thornton, IL

Karma~I just found all these floral forums, what a great surprise! Your tropical getaway is awesome!!! Gives new meaning to kicking it with your buds, love it! =o)

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Prairiegirl, hahaha! If you enjoyed this, go to "get to know you" and check out Terri's flower in a bud vase. Thanks for letting us know you stopped by. We wish to have more visitors and participants....of the 125 views on this thread, I think Terri and I own 120 of them! Hope you stick around and have some fun with us!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

No way: I've got at least 10 of those views to my credit! Welcome Prairiegirl. I also encourage you to get out the snippers and throw together something from the garden. It's showtime! These gals are marvelously creative and lots of great flowers are grown here. Tropical island with blue sea and blue sky background... do you never stop?????

Thornton, IL

Don't worry, I'll be back! I'm planning to take a class in floral design this fall, that should be fun! Just popping in, have to finish my summer internship, waaay behind. You all are having a great time, I'm really glad I found this forum.

Hi Prarie Girl, glad you are enjoying the shows. Good luck with your internship, see you when
you get back!

Karma, what's an internship?
I have found this other place on the Tropical Island, I will take you there tomorrow O.K.?
I absolutely love it here, I'm not going back to London until the rainy season starts.LoL!

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Here's an arrangement my wife entered in the local county fair today. The bright flowers from our garden make me think "holiday". They include:
China Asters
Dahlia (we believe "White Fawn")
Benary Giant Zinnias
Gladiola ("Atom")

Thumbnail by BDale60

What a jolly arrangement! thanks Mrs B. The 'all round ' shape is very good and I think the container is beautiful.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2007 2:59 AM

Thornton, IL

Those glads are splendid! Looks like a blue ribbon winner to me! :0)

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Oh Mrs. B, in the words of Paris Hilton...that's HOT! Love the glads with the white outline (I'm sure you expert gardeners have a word for it). It screams blue ribbon winner to me, Priairegirl. Thanks Bdale....LOVE it!

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Another of my wife's county fair entries, based on the theme "Picnics and Posies", which is in keeping with our "Summer Holiday" motif here on DG. The scale may be difficult to discern from the photo, but this is a "mini" picnic basket, about 6 inches tall (not counting the handle). Flowers include:
Benary Giant Zinnias (various colors)
Purple Dahlia ("Dueil du Roi Albert")
Pink "Friendship" Glad
"Stargazer" Lily

Thumbnail by BDale60

Beautiful, Mrs B, I'm so glad you are showing us your arrangements,they look so impresssive,
and such lovely colours and textures. Thankyou.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

I just love the picnic basket! It is......soooooooo cute. I wish I had a bigger vocabulary to express my thoughts. It's lovely. This has been such an enjoyable experience!

This message was edited Aug 7, 2007 7:16 PM

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

oooh- dahlias! LOL Delightful basket and vase above Bdale. that gladiola "Atom" is stunning!

Are you MR. BDale? I am such a fool: I assume everyone is a woman. Your wife has some glorious fair entries. And what part of MN did you hale from at one time? (I think you mentioned MN.) I came from Hutchinson, but lived in many cities in later years.

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Pooch,

Oh my gosh (or should I say "uff da") another DG garden lover with Minnesota roots! Yes, I'm MR BDale (I realize "Dale" is one of those names that could be interpreted for either gender) and grew up on the family farm in southern Minnesota, south of the Mankato area. I love growing flowers (and vegetables) and absolutely love looking at all these terrific arrangements, but my lovely wife is the one who is handier as an arranger. I did stand in the rain yesterday morning at 6 a.m. cutting flowers for the arrangements, trying to save some from a heavy downpour on the way, so maybe I get partial credit?? (LOL). I had enough sense to come in for shelter when the thunder and lightning started up.

Did you ever visit the Horticulture Building at the Minnesota State Fair and see all the great floral displays? I had a chance to visit last summer and was able to see many fantastic Glads and Dahlias. It put me over the top in terms of a commitment to try growing some this year. Very happy we did!!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Dale: uff da LOL Now that is Minnesota speak, for sure!
I almost went to school in Mankato but ended up in Duluth. Such great soil you have there.

No, I think I only made it to one State Fair and was at the ride-riding age instead of interested in flowers age. We have gone to our nearest fair here when able and the flowers are equally impressive. See Connells' Dahlia display from a couple years back. Buckets and buckets full of dahlias - absolute rainbows of dahlias. Photo courtesy of Steve Boley.

Good luck to the Mrs. on her entries. Nice to 'meet' you!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

and the yellow/oranges from Connell's same display, again by Mr. Boley with his permission to post.

Thumbnail by Poochella
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Terri, internship is like a summer work placement program students go through prior to graduating. HTH (hope that helps)!

Bdale, here's a summer arrangement for Mrs. B, hope she wins!

Edited to id the flowers: ixora flowers and foliage, zinnias, lantana, variegated liriope, and nepthytis leaves: all from the garden.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2007 4:29 PM

Thumbnail by karmaplace

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.