Happy Flowers!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I did and Wow,
We just installed a new register system In our stores called the new MARS setup and when I got on my computer( thinking Happy place) I thought I was on mars. This has been a to many new thing week and my mind is going nuts.
Thanks for letting me know I have not lost it YET....at least I think I haven't

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I can't find Daves Forum

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Here it is.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/dg/all/

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Murmur,

I like that old fashioned pinky-red one, too. Mine is pale yellow and peach and it doesn't stand out as much as I'd wanted. That's what I get for buying a "mix", though.

Do squirrels ever eat your hollyhocks? I've got a tall trellis-y thing that my one really tall hollyhock is up against (not 10ft, -maybe 7. I think it gets a little too much shade) This morning I noticed the top of the bloom stalk look gnawed and bent through-it was bent over the top of the trellis-y thing (and a bit hard to get at) This afternoon I saw a squirrel sitting on the top happily stuffing his face with my hollyhock blossoms off the broken chunk, now conveniently easy to access! I wanted to run out there and chase him but I was on the phone at the time. By the time I was off the phone he (She?) was gone. Arrgh!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

We have very few squirrels in the area - and what we do have are the small Douglas Squirrels. So we really don't have any problem with them. One time I had a seed bell out for the birds and looked out the window and it was gone. I looked a bit more and there was one of these small squirrels dragging the thing along the ground - it was almost as big as he! I let him take it - any being that willing to work for his food is entitled!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Lol, you're right about that. He definitely deserved his spoils! I've got a squirrel family that nests in the neighbor's doug fir that's right next to the fence line for four of our yards-the fence is the Squirrel highway. Normally, I don't really mind them that much, but seeing him sitting there with the flower sticking out of his mouth right in front of me! I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. My neighbor had some on her side of the fence right next to the squirrels "hang-out-and-eat-peanuts" spot, any they got broken and then disappeared. I thought they got broken in wind, but now I think it was the squirrel's introduction to garden-fresh hollyhock.....

Here's my White Henryi. The first flower ever for me. Very late, because I planted it in May. I really like it. In fact, the more I see, the more I like lilies.

Thumbnail by susybell
Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I have grown these for 10+ years. The bulbs are enormous, and the stems go about 7'.
Smell fabulous - watch out for the pollen!

Thumbnail by Katye
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, nice picture! I like the orange flowers behind the white henryi. They seem to bring out the orange in W. Henryi. Are they Heleniums?

I'm looking forward to mine getting that big with so many blooms. Mine is kind of small this year and only had one flower.

Why does lily pollen stain so badly, anyhow?

This message was edited Aug 16, 2007 6:32 PM

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Because it's pollen? i don't know - never thought about that one. But does it stain!
I know the "stain" can be made worse by rubbing it. I have had success getting the stains out by washing the article of clothing & then letting it dry (stain side up) in the sun.
It's when i am clueless about the pollen on my face that it gets a bit embarrassing...
Heleniums they are & I just acquired another variety - dark brick red. Those clumps are several years old & happy. So am I!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

oooh, good tip! I'll try to remember that. Oh, I hear you about the pollen! I'm one of those people who almost doesn't dare wear white. ;) I bought some blooming ones not too long ago and looked down later to notice a large swipe of bright orange pollen across my front. Looked like I had somehow ground half a "Cheeto" into my front......[cringe]

The Heleniums come in great colors! Perfect for the end of summer. I like the way the cones have such interesting patterns and each variety is different.

Get yourselves some chenille sticks (the pipe cleaner like thingies used in crafts). If you get lily pollen on something, gently wipe it off with one of those - honestly, it works . . . even on wedding dresses!!!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

..even on wedding dresses...ewww......oh, do I want to know that story-or do I remember that you do flowers for weddings?

Do you mean old-fashioned pipe cleaners, or am I thinking that there's a fatter one? Is that what you mean?

Susy, I do occasional wedding flowers so happily that is why I know!!! And the chenille sticks are fatter (and fluffier) than the old pipe cleaners so work well.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, whew, on the wedding dresses!.....OK, I've seen those chenille sticks. I'll pick some up the next time I'm at a crafts store. (Vancouver has a nice one, Craft Warehouse)

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi folks! Re pollen: I read somewhere that lily pollen sticks because it has microscopic "hooks" that assist in sticking to the pollinators. I always put my stainen clothing in the sun and that usually takes care of the problem within hours. But some pollen can be difficult and I haven't figured those types out yet. I have a lot of lilies and I get pollen on me everytime I go out there!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, sure, that makes sense, like the allergy commercials when they show those microscopic pollen images.... now why didn't I connect that sooner?

I'm gonna try that, Pardalinum! Thanks for the info. Of course, if it happened to a wedding dress, that might not work!!! (Florists are supposed to cut the little pollen thingies off prior to designing, but many don't - I am using lilies from my garden in my altar arrangement this week and have already cut them off . . . it's a shame as they add something to the whole thing, but don't want to risk it . . . plus sometimes people like to smell the flowers after church service!)

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This clematis has bloom twice this year first in June and I just now noticed it yesterday with more blooms.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Another pic

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Heres a happy little guy, about 1" in size

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I know fall is coming
Red leaves on my Flame Bush

Thumbnail by tillysrat

Nice photos, Tilly!!! Is that more than one Clematis, or just partly in the shade? Absolutely lovely!

And gosh it does feel like Fall today - lovely this afternoon, but with a different feel to the air. I am so NOT ready for that!!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Yes it is two one is the Jackmanii the dark one, and the other one seems to have two names
when I bought the bare root package it had both of them in it. and on the label it said it was a perkinson. I have not been able to fine that name any where. In Daves
plants it has another name I thought I wrote it down but guess not, have to go back
and get it. It is Identical to mine. They only get morning sun.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/130064/

This message was edited Aug 20, 2007 6:18 PM

Incredible combination!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks

Been hopping around in the new Daves. I think I like it, a little getting use to.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

My late bloomer " Pink Stargazer"

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

My B-day present from my niece. looks like the real tilly.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday Tillysrat...whenever it was....Here is a happy flower for you! Have a great day...
Happy Gardening, Carla

Thumbnail by cocoajuno
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Thank you
It was on the 3rd, Had a little problem with it but live is what ti is, now I feel old I am a official senior citizen at the age of 55. but strong and healthy. And can still out do more than some of the younger ones
Hey what is that Flower I like it.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2007 7:31 PM

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Tillys,
The flower is a dahlia, Art Deco,,, it is 20" tall with a 5" bloom, a very nice short one.
I will be 53 in a couple of weeks, so I am catching up to you...lol

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

That's a pretty Dahila. I have 2 that have made it This year. This is pooh bear given to me 3 years ago on my B-day very special plant because I collect Tiggers and this was the closest she could find. And he gets to be 6' tall and blooms are 4-5".
Where is Murmur this is her tread.!!!!!!!! miss you Murmur

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Just gorgeous Tillys, love it and will add it to my list....

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I wish I knew how to get seeds from it. Just learning how to do my Irises. And I took some from a Glad, Will see what happens .

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Tillys,
Those are better grown from tubers...you dig and divide by eyes...check out the dahlia plant files and check out how to divide and you can have more plants to spread around your yard.
Happy gardening, Carla

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Thank You
I didnt know that !!! well I kinda did just forgot. To many things to remember thank goodness for Daves and All of you out there to help to keep some of us on track

Tilly, what a gorgeous Dahlia!! And thanks for asking about me - I've been gone off and on for over two weeks since just before my daughter had her baby. She lives in Maple Valley so I've been staying there quite a bit. They don't have a guest room so I sleep on the couch - not restful, that's for sure, but she had c-section (and is 40 years old, with rather severe post partum depression) so I've been around as much as I can. Plus checking in on my parents. I took two weeks off of work, but my garden has gone to the dogs. I did go out and take some photos when I got home from my first day back to work this afternoon, though, and still have some pretty odds and ends.

I had to look up to get this lily photo - probably about six feet tall or so.

Thumbnail by Murmur

I just reviewed this whole thread - what a tremendous amount of fabulous flowers! Darn, I am so not ready for Fall, no matter how lovely it can be . . . it leads to Winter. Yuk.

This is new for me - Sedum Blackjack . . . I actually thought I had killed it, but it survived my neglect.

Thumbnail by Murmur

Here's a sweet Gerbera . . .

Thumbnail by Murmur

Daylily Janice Brown

Thumbnail by Murmur

White Anemone . . . I don't know why the background is black, but I sure like it that way.

Thumbnail by Murmur

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.