Salvia 'Violet Eyes'

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

This is a hybrid that originated in Australia.

Thumbnail by annette68
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

The color is so vivid, it's almost 'neon'.

Its good to see that my new camera is doing the job, I love this camera, it captures the colours so perfectly.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Which camera did you get? A really good one, or a cheaper one that just happens to do a good job?

I got a canon half price $150 australian, it does a good job, I read that canons were a pretty good camera:)

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I've never been one for taking pics, don't know why..which is why I can't seem to want to find out about using the camera and posting pics here. I don't think I want to spend that much just for posting on DG...guess I'll have to grab my son and have him show me how to use his camera, etc....I somehow always find something more pressing to do.

I like to have a reference for my salvias so price isnt the issue.I love my camera:)

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I would use it most for posting pics for ID's...I've picked up a few salvia that are not what they were supposed to be....surprise! Since there are very knowledgeable people here with more experience with them than I, I should get around to doing this and posting pics. It's annoying to have propagated a lot of something and have no idea what it is.....Apparently I'm not the only one. I have one that I think is wonderful and don't really know anything about it...recently went to a nursery I've not been to before and she had one growing so I was quite excited to find out what it was...she had no idea either, but at least I could see that it was in full sun and about 6 ft tall. Hers had never flowered but I was able to tell her the flower color. Mine was in bloom when I bought it and not since so possibly it will be a fall or winter bloomer. I bought it as WaveHill and Rich Dufresne says that he distributed one with that name some years ago and then found that it was 'Hadspen', but the description does not sound like what I have. Also have one that I got as 'rubiginosa', but don't think it is...yep, I definitely have to photo them...
Sherry

Here is a pic off rubiginosa, mine is flowering like mad at the moment.

Thumbnail by annette68
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes...mine is definitely not rubiginosa...it doesn't have the violet....where it 'does' have violet is around the leaf edges.i don't get that on any of my other salvia.

That Salvia rubiginosa is to die for, wow!

I am on the lookout for seeds on mine at the moment, will let you know how I go.

rubiginosa is much like pachysandra in my eyes.

not familar with pachysandra?

wooops pachypyhylla as my cat always said to me "meow culpa"

I havent seen pachyphylla flowers in real life, will let you know when my seedlings flower, I have a feeling that this salvia is going to be finicky:)

I am happy you are posting now on DG hope all is well.

All is great, Salvia Heaven here, Salvia Dorisiana is in bud, will post pics when this delightful baby flowers, Salvia Madrensis has set seeds first time ever for me.......Good things come to those who wait;)

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Annette, after making us admit to lust in our hearts, I personally hope that you can send Gerris2 some seeds, he can get production going, and supply us with our new 'needs'!! Sounds like some plan, huh? ;-> Are these hardy here? Major (lusting) sigh!
Signed,
Need them all!
Bev

These salvias are all very hardy for me in the tropics, zone 10 I think, just going to post some more pics:)

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Temptress;->>

LOL, true, true, here we are in winter and all these salvias are now starring in my garden, Salvia nirvana:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.