Medusa Pepper

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

This a very pretty plant. I have seen some sites say it is edible and other say it is ornamental. Have you ever eaten one??

Thumbnail by makshi
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It is an ornamental and it it is edible. Whether it is a good quality edible is the question. All ornamental peppers are edible. The confusion came with the Jerusalem Cherry which is toxic, but not really a pepper. It just looks like one.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Farmerdill thank you. It is so cute but I would like to taste one when it is ripe.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That is pretty! Are you growing it this year?

There's definitely a difference between "edible" and "tasty" when it comes to peppers. I've got some cute little 'Pretty Purple Pepper' plants that I'm using in the border of a bed -- adorable, but full of seeds and no flavor other than some heat. On the other hand, one of my favorite peppers is 'Sweet Pickles'. Its peppers are similar to those little multicolored ones they sell in big containers at Costco, very sweet and delicious (not hot), but it's as cute as a lot of the "ornamental" chiles because it holds its peppers upright on the plant.

Take a look at this thread in the Peppers Forum, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/751292/. Beclu is growing 'Chilly Chilli' and says the peppers on it are good tasting. From the photos, it looks very similar to 'Medusa', so if the peppers on 'Medusa' turn out to be not a "good quality edible" then 'Chilly Chilli' might be a good alternative for the same look with better flavor.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Yes, I have one. I wanted to make sure it was ok to eat. I will let you know. I also have some of those new basket bell peppers that are about 10" tall and have small bell peppers on them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We need to see those -- they sound too cute! I grew 'Jingle Bell' peppers one year in a container, and they were fun (tasty, too).

I'm looking forward to hearing how your 'Medusa' peppers taste!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.