Mushrooms are popping up. Let's see yours.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Found some mushrooms starting. Let's see what is coming up this year.
First is one I found in a heavy canopy area. I tried to take it without the flash. Hope I held steady enough.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

This one was in the same area. It has a fat stem all the way up and the top is like a shallow cup.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Beautiful mushrooms. We don't usually get enough rain here to have any mushrooms but I swear this year we are already over our yearly limit and I have to admit I have seen some mushrooms. Nothing as pretty as yours though. All of mine are just white and gray toadstool looking ones. But it is still cool to see them cuz you know you have had some rain when there are toadstools in Texas.

Leslie

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

They are interesting. We had a little rain for a week when these popped up, now no rain at all. And of course no mushrooms.
Are you still getting rain there? I saw pictures over the fourth and it looked terrible down there.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Found this today. It's been raining (finally) in Maryland, where I saw it.

Thumbnail by claypa
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh, that is a pretty one. It looks pink.

Yes, kind of a rose color. Found these today, I don't think I've seen them before.

edited to add possible name for this fun guy below, Shaggy-stalked Bolete - Boletellus betula

This message was edited Sep 21, 2007 12:08 PM

Thumbnail by claypa
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Those are nice.
We had rain here for a week and then warm weather. I expected oodles of mushrooms, but only a few are popping up.
This time of year we usually get the big yellow ones with white spots. I love those they look so fake.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Found some mushrooms coming up yesterday. Here is one of the yellow ones. This one is about 5" tall and opened by evening yesterday to nearly dinner plate size.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Here is another yellow, but with more orange in it. It too is very large.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Here is one in the pink variety.
I have a small tripod for the camera and forget where it is. Gotta find it, as even though full sun of day, not enough light in this area. Trying to hold the camera really still. Flash washes the color of these prettys.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I swear that some of these look like fake plastic ones in the store. They are pretty cool.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Here is some coral mushroom. If you have never seen this stuff, it is soft like a sponge, but looks like it belongs in the sea. Very pretty.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Those are really cool

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thank you. I sure enjoy seeing them.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Love the mushrooms. Don't see very many around here but it is neat when I do.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

These mushrooms are not the prettiest, but I like the way they are set by the tree.
A florist could do no better at the arrangment.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

I'd love to know what these are. They are about 6" to 8" wide and solid with not stem.

Thumbnail by mgarr

Here is the underside. OK sort of a thick stem.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ha, I have them too, (if they are the same) and when they first come up, they are mostly underground. DD was here for a walk and was convinced they were truffles. LOL. She had dollar signs in her eyes. I wish, we'd be rich!
I am still laughing about that one.

Found a few yesterday in Maryland

Thumbnail by claypa

A little closer... they're growing up around a briar stem, about as thick as a pencil. It looks like somethings been eating them

Thumbnail by claypa

Another clump next to a small tree

Thumbnail by claypa

There were hundreds of these pipes earlier this summer, I was surprised to see just this one. Not a mushroom, but I figured I'd sneak it in here anyway.

Thumbnail by claypa
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Our mushroom crop has been poor this year due to dry conditions, and many have a bite out of them before I see them.
Seems like they are ok for some rodents? to eat.
Reminds me of Alice in Wonderland.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Claypa,
I noticed that the indian pipes came up twice this year, and like yours, a bunch of singles.
I just learned they were not mushrooms. Odd, they do have the texture.

They're plants in the Family Ericaceae, along with Rhododendrons and blueberries, etc. There's plenty of other ericaceous plants around there, too.
Hopefully there'll be some rain this fall and we'll see lots more! One of these days I have to go see mgarr's area, mgarr's always posting some neat native plants and insects.

Olympia, WA

Cpartschick - great photos - presume you know those ones w/ warts on top are Amanita sp. Toxic, but lovely!!!!!!!!! Yes - some animals can eat them - they have the enzymes to digest the toxins. We don't, however.

Corals, on the other hand, are "sometimes" edible.

Of course, one should never experiment - go w/ someone who knows.

The only test for shrooms is that if folks have eaten them and not died or become ill - they are safe. Rather a serious criteria, I would say.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Laugh, mushrooms are just not that tasty. They are yummy, but not that good.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I leave the ones in the woods for the animals, unless it is a morel. Just too tastey.

Greenish mushrooms. I'd love to catch them when they first come up to see if they are greener.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Those are great!
I have seen ones like that, but wondered if the green was a fungus on the mushroom and that they were really white.

Although the same shape comes in pink, red, orange, purple, brown, tan, and blue, so why not green?
(I have a good mushroom book, I should read it)

My SIL told me this mushroom was a great butterfly feeder, because of the shape, the cap captures a small amount of water. Perfect for the butterflies to drink.

Olympia, WA

Morels are, indeed, morsels to treasure. Let me add one other "have to have" to the list - and that would be Sparassis - the cauliflower mushroom. AND just one mushroom is more than enough as they can weigh upwards of 40 lbs.

http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Sparassis_crispa.html

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/sparassis_crispa.html

This message was edited Sep 23, 2007 5:43 AM

This message was edited Sep 23, 2007 8:26 PM

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

That one, even I could not mistake! Too bad we don't live in the pacific northwest, because it's a gorgeous day and we are off to the woods. Would have been nice to go 'shroom hunting as well :D

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Extremely fragile, these two came up in July. Semi translucent, with stems of 1/8", (less than the surrounding blades of grass), the picture was taken in the early am in my yard, by noon they disappeared without a trace.

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

pixie parasols!

Fischer, TX(Zone 8b)

cpartschick, let me ditto wannadanc. I do want to add that you should be very careful which fungi you eat. Most of them can probably be eaten, but you have two pictures of Amanita sp. (the yellow mushroom), which contain some of the most deadly of all the mushrooms. Some are edible, Ceasar's mushroom is in this group, but you need to know what you're doing.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I agree. I only eat the morels. They are pretty safe, as they are quite unique looking and pretty common here.
I like looking at the mushroom mostly. Some are so colorful and seems I spot new types growing here every year.

Fischer, TX(Zone 8b)

There are some that look sort of like morels that are bad news but they look, at best, like a deformed morel.

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 9b)

The Indian pipes I have seen in the PNW come in large clusters, 20 maybe, in thick brush where they can parasitize the rood systems of ericaceous species. Frank

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.