Mosquitoes in compost pile

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

I've been composting for almost a year (using a biostack).... and I'm totally hooked - even got my co-workers saving food stuff in the office. The compost I'm currently "brewing" is definitely hotter, than my typical pile... the main difference may be 1 1/2 (garbage-size) bags of coffee grounds from Starbucks, which are more than I typically add.

This morning I opened the lid to turn the pile & a swarm of mosquitoes came out -- I've never seen mosquitoes around the pile & sure don't want to encourage them, as we have had West Nile virus cases in our county. I've also noticed fewer earthworms - perhaps they're hiding down below to stay cool. Any thoughts or suggestions about why I have misquitoes & how to get rid of them?

Thanks!

Liz

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Huh, that's kind of strange - are you sure they're skitters and not gnats or something? Usually mosquitoes would only be in a really wet area, and probably not a hot pile.

For lack of a better suggestion, I'd say disturb the pile as much as possible (turn, turn, turn) and make sure you don't have any water pooling at the bottom of your Biostack (although, I don't believe they have a floor, do they?)

Hmmmm.... >pagancat, scratching her head....<

Savannah, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm very new at all this composting stuff...but I did just get a Biostack (and yeah Pagancat..they don't have bottoms). I've been turning mine about every 2-3 days and wetting each 3-4" layer as I turn it. I make sure I've got it kinda packed in around the edges, but not enough to bulge the sides. Right now I'm working a batch that consists of some funky soil, lots of grass clippings and just added a load of kitchen waste to it yesterday. The difference in my pile from yours from what I can tell is that my pile is very hot...especially near the bottom, to the center. There are no worms, flies, or bugs of any kind in my pile. I water it every morning along with the rest of the garden. Not alot, I just get the top layer good and soaked and let it sink in. I'm thinking your pile has too much food waste and maybe not enough browns like leaves and cardboard or paper. I've read somewhere that the pile should be around 2/3 brown and 1/3 greens and enough water to keep it saturated and turn it often. I've also learned from my short experience with the Biostack that it's much easier to turn and restack if you don't fill the top stack very full. That way you only need to take off a small amount from the top of the pile and then start flipping the boxes.

I'm hoping to get a compost thermometer soon..but I can tell ya for sure that I wear heavy gloves to turn the pile and I can still feel the heat through the gloves....and it will steam bigtime even on 85 degree mornings when I'm turning. There are two types of compost piles one is a cool pile which will draw worms, who do most of the composting for you...the Biostack is designed to be the other type..which is a hot pile. The worm type piles will take 2-6 months or maybe even a year to breakdown into good compost. Versus the Biostack which will make fresh compost within a month or so. Bottom line being if you have worms in your Biostack..something is wrong...it's not near hot enough, which would also lead to inviting other bugs, rodents, etc.

I wonder if a candy or wax thermometer might not be just as good.... once it falls into the category of "specialty" item, the price often does too - >smile< ...

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I just use a cheap meat thermometer. ;-)) candy or wax thermometer should be just as good too - and just as cheap. I agree with PC, add the word "specialty" and you have just jacked up the price.

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for all your replies. The mosquitoes only showed themselves one day (& I hadn't watered the prior day) - definitely think they were skeeters, so maybe I brought them into the pile with something????? Wolflvr - you're right about my pile being relatively cool.... but it gets me useable compost in a couple of months - then, I take everything out & retrieve the good stuff at the bottom & store it in an old rubber garbage can (that I've punched holes in) & the top 2/3's of the compost material back into the biostack to process. I haven't had any problems with rodents (knock on wood), racoons, etc. and I love the little worms. My garden had literally NO worms when we moved in 3 years ago, so I treasure the little critters & call the compost my "earthworm maternity ward... and I carefully spread them in the garden I think I have enough browns in the pile, because I tore up a bunch of old phone books, recently.... I water & turn the pile 2 -3 times a week, and today the current pile (which I started from scratch, about 3 weeks ago, after using all my old compost) is starting to team with earthworms & look more earthy.... so, I guess I'm feeling like all's well that ends well... Thanks again.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2007 4:06 PM

Well, glad it isn't an on-going problem for you. That would be nasty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.