Frost....and the results

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

This first pic is for Chrissy,Kaelkitty and Rodica...Garlic vine seedpod...had been doing so well until last week when we had the most severe frosts...the worst I've seen or can recall. Seemed to hold up better than the bougies and other vines growing nearby...until it too finally succumbed

Thumbnail by brical1

This is hibiscus full moon...this one would be over 2 metres tall...have never seen it look so sad..

Thumbnail by brical1

Crinum lily in the foreground and golden cane palm in the background

Thumbnail by brical1

Bougies,solanum wendlandii and garlic vine

Thumbnail by brical1
Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi Brica & Everyone Else,
Yes it has been a shocker, we have had nights down to 2C recently, so the first week we had that and no rain we got the ground frost. Luckily I escaped the worst of it, as most of my tender plants are up against walls or fences which give them a bit of microclimate protection. The only plants I've seen any damage on have been right in the middle of the exposed backyard - I lost two Nasturtiums which were about a foot high - the leaves were just mush and the plants couldn't recover. The only other plants to be damaged were some succulent offsets which were stuck all together in a long tray pot in the middle of the back lawn - they had their leaf tops frosted off, but I think they will recover because the bases and cores of the rosettes look OK.

Hopefully, your plants with frost damage will recover from the bottoms up, so don't be in too much of a hurry to rip things out of the ground or cut them back, often, the dead parts of a plant can protect the living core long enough to allow the plant to come back as the weather warms back up. This week though, is a real contrast to the weather we have been getting - daytime temps in the low twenties and overnight lows around 9 to 11 degrees C. I swear most of the mediterranean bulbs think that it is spring already! I have visible flower spikes on my Scilla peruviana and my Velthelmia and some of the Hippeastrums are waking up again (after what must have been the shortest dormancy period on record); In addition, the Lachenalias, Ixias,.Narcissus and Watsonias are all well into growth, so it looks like I'll have lots to share with you all soon.

I feel I should apologise for not staying in touch recently but July is always a bit of a madhouse at work and I just haven't had much time free. I expect things to settle down soon, and, as always I have enjoyed everyone's news. TTFN, KK.

Oh I am so sorry ...brical1......I think my thread should have read Winter nightmares!......a lot of crispy critters around the boundrys and in front (exposed areas) this way too -5.....on the coldest day!
I really feel for everyone who has suffered damage and...I know how proud you were of your babies....I think an early Spring will bring them back...and at least the insects will have been killed off!
The jasmine is in flower already so chin up...it will all be OK soon
a big ((((HUG)))) chrissy

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Yes brical1 ,
We copped it bad .
Not even my pond fish could take it .

There is light at the end of the tunnel though .
It might be the 7.15 am express to the Gold Coast ?

7.15am express ?

The 7.15 Train direct to Robina .
Express = no stops .

Hi everyone.....hopefully the worst is over....the only thing that perhaps I might not be able to "bring back" is my Maltese Blood orange. After the danger of frost passes I will cut it right back...and sing to it as I throw the chook poo around.....I hope to save it but ...hmmm.I think everything else will rally when the frosts have passed......the crazy thing is that the passionfruit alata (tropical)
draped over the balcony is flowering??? and the vines that are usually leafless are still in leaf?........while there is a lot of brown crispy bits bananas,ice cream bean,trumpets (only in exposed places) I feel sure that everything will come back....probably bigger and better than ever....I think the hardest thing is restraining ourselves from tidying up until we know that the frosts are gone for sure.....and on these Spring like days it is so tempting isn't it?
If you think about it -I suppose that it really is just one giant trim ...and most things enjoy that. Well enjoy the day everyone :)

Ginger,do you sleep much or are you an insomniac?LOL

Early to bed , Early to rise .
Have you been to the Danish Gourds Shop in Toowoomba ?

Went there Saturday .
Have a look at this link .
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/753698/

Oooo that reminded me about growing them a few years ago....great fun....I think I paid 10 dollars for a packet of mixed gourds and we had great fun with them (grandchildren painting them )and using them for marrackas(excuse the spelling) you know those things like Ricky Ricardo shakes in I Love Lucy....loved it .Guess I forgot about them after that...might look at them again....thanks for reminding. :) Great link

chrissy,
Feel free to add something to that thread .

And yes I grew up with ' I Love Lucy ' as well .

Gold Coast, Australia

Hi everyone i am new to this and hope someone can help me. I live in the gold coast hinterland and like most was hit with the 2 frosts a week or so ago. Most plants are good however my golden canes wich act as a privacey screen have been hit badly. Leaves very burnt, any advise to help me save these plants i would greatly appreciate.
Thankyou.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2007 6:13 PM

Coffs Harbour, Australia

IIf all chance of frost is over, you could trim back the canes affected. If you think there may be a chance of another frost, leave the dead leaves on to protect the good ones. See if it is still green at the top of the trunk in amongst the sheaths. Golden canes are pretty hardy things, and you should find the growing point is still alive.
It's a bad time of year for them now as they are low on nitrogen so look a bit yellow anyway. As it warms up, the roots will start to need feeding again, so maybe a weak liquid fertiliser now and a stronger feed when you notice signs of new leaf growth.The leaves that are burnt no longer help the plant to convert and store energy so are a loss to the plant. They will never turn green again, so unfortunately you will have to lose some of your privacy when they are cut back, be it now or later on. If you leave them on untill new growth appears, you could try pruning them off one by one and letting the new growth fill the gaps as you go.
I hope they're not too far gone, and I hope you can get some use from my advice.

Those damaged golden cane palms are a sad and sorry tale reflected in many places....so sorry but with a bit of TLC as instructed by weed_woman am sure they will come back.....most of the crispy burnt things are shooting out nice little green bits already.....I would just give them some Seasol for now....and like weed_woman said feed later when a bit warmer.....good luck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.