Mystery perennial

Fond Du Lac, WI(Zone 5a)

My mom got this plant on clearance last year in October. The tag said Baby's Breath but I don't think so...

Does anyone recognize this?

Thumbnail by Bubbeez
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Definitely not baby's breath! I think it's a Salvia of some sort, but it's not one of the ones I grow so I'm not sure of the species.

Lawrenceville, GA

I think it's salvia, too, bubbeez, but like ecrane, although I have about 6 kinds of salvia in my hummingbird garden... this isn't one of them.
... how about posting your pic on the salvia/agastache board and seeing if they can give you an exact ID?

Maybe Salvia transylvanica, or a similar one.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I have transylvanica, it's definitely not that one. (unless mine was mislabelled of course, but I don't think it was)

Fond Du Lac, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone for your comments!

I will post it on the salvia forum and see what happens.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Looks like one I have salvia Purple Rain. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/32271/

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'll bet you it's Big Betony - Stachys grandiflora (or macrantha.) One cultivar - Stachys Hummelo - was one of the really sought after perennials last year. There's another cultivar - Superba.

Anyway, if I were your mom, I'd much rather have this than baby's breath. LOL

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/137/

Raleigh, NC

Is it a Hyssop? Haven't compared leaves, but maybe...

Fond Du Lac, WI(Zone 5a)

NGam - The folks over in the Salvia department think that it is Purple Rain too. It certainly does look similar.

I think mom will be pleased to know this is a salvia and even more pleased that she paid less than $1 for her clearance gamble. :) Gotta love those end of season sales...

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

It looks like the one I bought last year - it is larger leaved than most salvias, and kind of sprawls along the ground in a nice patch
with upright flowers. I am going to move mine to the front of the border as it is fairly low growing. I'll dig around by it and see if I can find the tag.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.