Computer maintenance what a difference it can make!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

An article in today's newspaper talked about maintenance for a PC. I thought I was on top of things when I do a disc clean up and if recommended a defrag. But this article said to do an error checking. Before XP this was done through system tools as a scandisk. But on XP there is no scandisc listed under system tools so I thought it was not done on the XP os.

But it said to go to my computer and select the drive then go to file menu, properties, tool tab, error checking and check now. Then under check disc options select start and check both boxes for automatically fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors boxes.

I started with disc clean, did a defrag and then ran the error check. I didn't realize until after I did all this just how sluggish my system had become. When it was finished I was a bit stunned at the speed improvement of my system!

I don't know why they hid the error check away from the system tools but I have been using XP since shortly after it was released and this is the first time I even knew it was there!

Maybe it was just me with my head in the sand but if your system is seemingly getting bogged down and you didn't know about this I would definitely recommend giving it a try!

This thread has 68 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!