Anyone else's wisteria acting weird?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I have never seen wisteria do this before. Maybe it's normal, but it's new to me. Mine is blooming. Again. Ain't it a bit late in the season for this? It started about mid-June ...not big time bloom like back in spring, but several little ones like this, everywhere there is new growth. I took this pic this evening.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Gates, NC

My wisteria has one bloom right now also. Once in July while on the Outer Banks I stopped at a produce market that has a huge vine on a pergola and it was in bloom. The lady working there said it blooms occasionally in the summer but not every year.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Deb, have you been snipping it back? I had one once that re-bloomed every time I pruned it.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Yes that is what happened to mine.It had a few blooms before I pruned it a month ago and now that it has been pruned it has a few more.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Well that's interesting. I have cut back some of the long branches that were reaching out where they aren't allowed to go. On the other hand, there are a couple of smaller ones that I haven't cut back at all, and they're also blooming.

Maybe this is something else we can attribute to the late freeze and drought. Mine did not bloom as big this spring it usually does - possibly because of cold and lack of moisture. Maybe, now that we've been getting a bit more rain, and it's been warm a while, it's finishing the blooming it didn't get to do in April?

Just a theory. Anyway, no complaints. It's nice to see mid-summer purple. :)
Deb

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

That's so funny that you've brought this up Deb, we just noticed last night, on a walk thru the neighborhood, that a wisteria at one of the houses had a little sprig in bloom! This is our first summer down south so we don't have much experience, but we noticed it because we thought it strange!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.