Fig preserves recipe needed

Cordele, GA

Does anyone have a good down home recipe for figs? My brown turkey has a bumper crop this year and I would like to put some up. I really want an older recipe because this is one of my mother's favorite conserves. I would like to make some like she might have had in her childhood on her grandparents' farm.

Also can any one suggest another fig that is good for this area (zone 8)? I know that there is a large fruited yellow fig that does well but I don't know the varietal name.

Thanks
Beth

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

My mom's receipe for:

Strawberry Fig Preserves

3 cups peeled figs
3 cups sugar
2 sm or 1 lg box of strawberry jello

Crush figs and mix with sugar
Put on med. hot temp.
Add jello when figs begin to simmer
Boil 15 to 20 mins.
Put in clean jars & seal

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Made the strawberry ones last week and doing pain ones tonight.. I have to put up a few of whole figs..We love them also..and the mashed ones...If you like orange jam, try the orange jello along with a little added orange zest...It is also delicious.

Larkie

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I recently tried some Frog Jam from a place in north Ga. No little froggies in the jar LOL. It was figs, raspberries, orange and guava and was quite delicious! Kinda tasted like the orange figs that Larkie mentioned. Ya'll are making me hungry and I am on a strict diet and it doesn't help that my dad called and said he just canned 36 jars of figs and strawberry figs too!

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.