brugmansia

Dripping Springs, TX(Zone 8b)

Is anyone else growing brugmansia (angels trumpet) organically?

Gilbert, AZ

I don't but there are several people on the Southwestern Gardening forum who grow brugs - don't know for sure if they are totally organic, but would be a place to start.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

I grow all my brugs organically.
I feed them teas I made myself out of menure ( bone meal, worm castings, blood meal and bat guana), and I make compost of half compost and half bunnie poop.
They are happy!

Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Greensboro, AL

Very impressive mrs_colla! Most of the growers posting in the Brugmansia Forum grow organically.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you Gloria.
These brugies were sticks with 2 hairs hanging on them, half dead when I got them. They came a long way since March!
The variegated one already bloomed, the others are a bit behind.

Greensboro, AL

I suddently have about 20 different varieties and I started flats of b. sanguinea (reds) and sauvalens. Its going to be a challenge to get them through the winter here, but established plants can grow outside in Zone 8a.

Dripping Springs, TX(Zone 8b)

Good to hear.I keep hearing that brugs are heavy feeders and need synthetic fertilizers once to twice a week. i did this last year and had some success mostly with raising bumper crops of mites. This year Ive gone totally organic and my brugs are doing really well and no mites. I use a organic lawn fertilizer thats fairly high in nitrogen and green sand + bone meal that I mix together then about every two weeks I use a water soluable liquid and as with everything a dash of compost as it gets ready in my bin. So far no mites although I spray about every two to 3 weeks with seaweed. I was just interested in other organic growers techniques and styles and wondering if you still get mites etc etc etc . thanks .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.