When is the best time to transplant hydrangeas?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Spring or Fall? I have a Penny Mac Hydrangea that I now realize doesn't get enough sun. I am sure that July is not a good time to transplant most plants, but can hydrangeas be transplanted in the fall? We have mild summers here, but our winters can get pretty cold. I know many trees and shrubs are best transplanted in September when the heat breaks but a bit before the first frost ( Oct. 15 on average).

I appreciate any knowledge you all have on the subject.

Aiken, SC

Yes you can transplant hydrangeas in the fall. I would at least wait until the heat breaks.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks! For New Mexico, that would probably be September.

Thornton, IL

You know I'm glad you asked this question, I have some rearranging to do myself, and I was thinking along those same lines. When it starts to cool off at night, and temps moderate, that would be the best time to do that. It is my understanding that you can plant from containers any time, but that it obviously would be best not to do that during a major heat wave, for example.

Arlington, TN(Zone 7a)

With all native hydrangeas, oak leaf and arborescens like 'Annabelle', 'Hayes Starburst', 'White Dome' and all panicle hydrangeas like 'PG', 'Limelight', 'Chantilly Lace' you must transplant in fall and the soil must be raised for good drainage.

With the H. macrophylla and H. serrata we found it not so problematic, they transplant well all year. They just shock you every afternoon if you do it in summer, as soon as the sun hits them they look absolutely terrible, but in the evening and the next morning they look good again.

Hope this helps.
Wolfgang

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, wooffie, that does help. I have a friend who has a dog named wooffie. One of the sweetest Australian shepherd's I have ever met.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.