donkey manure compostable? (is that a word?)

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

I have a donkey and have heard 2 different opinions on composting donkey manure. I hate to
just waste it..(sorry about the unintended pun). Any advice is welcome!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Heh... great pun!

Gosh, I can't see why not. What did the person say who thought it could not be done?

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

It oughta be just like horse manure, which I've found is great stuff for composting.

I've had good success layering horse manure with chopped up oak leaves in a compost pile, but you'd have to wait for fall to get dead leaves. Since the manure is already "green", I don't know how it would do with more green stuff like grass clippings.

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

pagancat...thanks :) someone told me that it contained nimitoads...I know i'm spelling it wrong...but that they were bad for the soil. i've never even heard of the little bad boys...
but i figured it was all organic so it must be good. besides, the heat while composting would probably kill them anyway. what do you think?

ozark...now thats what i thought too. i have shredded oak leaves composting from last
fall...think i could just mix it in and treat it like any other compost?

I totally agree with both of you.... if you want to mix it in, I'd say go for it. If you need more "browns", you can always shred up newspaper or let your grass clippings dry for a little while until they've lost their color and moisture... I *think* it's a brown at that point...

Nematodes... there's good ones and bad ones, but if the pasture where the donkey is leaving the manure doesn't look bad, then I'd say it's probably just fine. *Especially* if you can get your pile to heat up, that takes care of a lot of stuff that would otherwise be a problem.

Good luck, let us know how it's coming!

Okay, now I gotta go Google donkey manure and nematodes... bizarre!

Actually, I'm seeing a reference to using donkey or horse manure to destroy nematodes in garlic and onion crops... interesting...

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

I really appreciate the information regarding the nematoads..(thanks for the correct spelling)...and am surprised that the manure is used to DESTROY nematoads in garlic & onion crops. that makes
this whole endeavor more interesting. I think I'll go ahead and use the manure for composting with
the shredded leaves and other browns and in the meantime study up on this. pagancat...i sure am
grateful for your imput on the output. (sorry)

>pained grin< ....

You're welcome - even after that pun.... ow....

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

i know....and i apologize from the heart for it. i just couldn't resist, knowing all the while how truely lame it was. and after you gave me all that valuable information...you didn't deserve such a terrible pun. *humbled*

Oh, no - I *love* puns. The more painful, the better!

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

you are much too kind...i love puns too, but i knew that one was *so* bad and just kept on with it! i even snickered...

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

As with all cow and horse manure, your compost has to get really hot to kill all the seeds which as corn, that the donkey has eaten, otherwise you will be planting those to grow. The worst thing I've ever done to a flower bed was use horse manure that had not been processed correctly.

Judy

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Yep. When we first moved to this house, I was trying to get a garden started and a farmer friend brought me a dump truck load of cow manure. I didn't compost it, I just tilled it in.

I ended up having to move my garden to another location because I got such a horrible dose of Johnson Grass. When you use any manure, be SURE it composts good and hot to kill any seeds. Leaving the finished compost in a bin for an extra season to see if anything's going to sprout from it is a good idea, too.

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

thanks for the advice! then i should treat it like normal compost but just let it do its thing
extra long, right? last thing i want to do is have more weeds. i turned it over yesterday and saw earth worms that scared me they were so huge...i thought they were baby snakes. can't imagine what they'll look like next season.

EELS...

I keep hoping the whole oats I feed my horses will seed ... those that the birds don't get!

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

eels???? !! oh yuck. makes me shudder in my rubber boots.

good luck fighting the birds pagancat...they are fast and relentless when it
comes to their favorite munchies. btw...i saw your horse pics and they are stunning!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

beverly710

If you see worms it's not hot!!! I only cold compost and I have fun seeing what will sprout, but I've read worms will not be in HOT compost. Maybe someone will come along and verify this or say I'm nuts. lol

Judy

This message was edited Jul 26, 2007 8:24 PM

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

judy...it makes sense...the heat would probably kill the worms or maybe they'd move before they fried. and i need the heat for this compost, right?

Mm - not a sushi lover, I take it.

Well, thank you - I love my babies, too. Did you see them on the Equine forum?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Yes, to kill the seeds, although an alternative might be a pre-emerge. Maybe someone will express their opinion on that statement.

Judy

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

i like some sushi...the plain jane ones and really don't care for sashimi. my family throws rocks at me for it but i'm standing firm

yes...the equine forum is wonderful. your babies are the stars and you should be
puffed up and proud of them. they look well cared for and much loved....as well they should be!

judy...what does pre-emerge mean? sounds like a self explanatory thing, but......

This message was edited Jul 27, 2007 12:32 AM

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

A pre-emergent keeps seeds from sprouting and is usually applied in the spring. Preen is an example, BUT it is expensive, so a HOT compost to kill the seeds would be best.

Google "compost 101" or "compost for dummies" and see if you get hits that explain the whole process. I do cold composting so I don't know much about "Hot".

Judy

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

judy...thanks for the info. you're right...i googled all kinds of compost stuff and i think
now i understand pre emergent and what to do. my neighbor up the road...an old retired
farmer, stopped by and lectured me on what it was and what to do and he started flipping my compost pile around and tired me out...and he's 94 with the energy level
of my grandkids.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

You have to compost the manure. Any suitable manure fresh from the animal is too hot to put directly in the garden. I have heard that you have to wait at least six months for it to break down sufficiently to do your garden any good. But, oh boy!, when it does, you have great stuff.
Martha

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

thanks martha.. thats what my neighbor said too. judy suggested some online sources
and after reading them and ozarks tip about shredded leaves...by spring i should have
some kickin' compost! my plants will love me.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

"Any suitable manure fresh from the animal is too hot to put directly in the garden." - gardenmart

That's right, but there's a lot of variation.

I've found horse (and presumably donkey) manure to be pretty mild stuff. After it's dried out good it shouldn't burn plants. Cow manure is stronger and definitely needs to be aged longer and composted before use. Chicken and rabbit manure - be careful, that's some real powerful stuff.

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

ohoh...i just got some rabbit manure from my daughter...thinking i could just add it to the garden. i should let it "age" some before adding it, ozark?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.