Anyone "Thawed" out??

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Our pond has been thawed out for a couple of weeks but the poor fish are moving so ssloowwwww. They are calling for at least 65 degrees here Friday and I think I'm going to start cleaning it up/out. Can't wait to get the falls running again!!!! Anyone else to anxious to wait? LOL.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Jody, looks like we are neighbors.

I'll be out to start cleaning up also. I kept the waterfall running all winter with no problems. The orfes have been out and about lately but the Koi are still hiding. I can't wait for warmer weather, I hate Winter..LOL

http://users.erols.com/tneubaum/tt_pondx.html
Terry

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi Terry,
Neighbors we are, I'm not far from Crofton, Pasadena.

Nice pond. Wish I had taken pictures of the construction process, it was a lot of work...but worth it.

I shut down the fall for cleanup and actually removed all plants, fish and everything else and put them all into the pond that connects. This one I simply left the pump w/a small fountain running for the winter. This was my fist winter with the pond and I wasn't quite sure what to expect, we just put it in last February and added an addition that connects in April. The small fountain did great at keeping an area not freezing. But just can't wait to hear the sound of the falls. Going to get it going Friday.
Jody

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Jody,

That's funny, we must have been digging at the same time. Mine went in last Feburary also. Maybe we can tour each others pond and swap some plants this Summer.

...and take some pictures.

Eat well, stay fit, die anyway!
Terry

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

You guys are so lucky to have thawed ponds. I still have a thick sheet of ice on top. I bring the fish in for the winter so I don't keep a hole in the ice. I'm dying to get a look inside! Tomorrow is supposed to be 45* so I'm hoping for at least a partial thaw.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Terry that sounds great!!
Jody

Northern Piedmont, NC(Zone 7b)

All thawed out here..a balmy 65° today! The fish are still in the slow motion mode. I can't wait for the first flush of growth on the plants and the gang start begging to eat!

Jean

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Well suppose to be 70* today!!! Going to head out in a bit to start cleaning and getting the pond ready for spring, I know it's going to get cool again, 40's by monday but...I just can't stand it...and this weather...makes spring fever so much worse!!
Jody

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Jody, what is your water temp?

Terry

Rapid City, SD(Zone 5b)

A girl that I work with uses a cattle water trough heater in her pond to keep at least one spot thawed. The koi stay out all winter. She had 25 babies last year. I wonder how they are doing after 14 below? The babies are inside in a 55 gallon aquarium. If she succeeds after this winter - I'm going to give it a try!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Terry
When I was out on Friday I didn't check the temp but all the fish were at the top of the water sticking there noses up, probably looking for food though I didn't give them any. Being a small pond, 250 gal, the temp fluctuates with the fluctuating temps outside. I did get a lot of the leaves/debris cleaned up but still lots to do. It was so nice here on Friday, I laid on the swing for an hour just soaking up the warmth and watching my fish swimming around.
As I walked around the yard I noticed bits of green sprouting, especially the columbines, and daffodils and even some of the day lilies! I didn't reconnect the falls, decided to take it down and rework it, though will have to wait for some more of those warm days. But, this is Maryland on the Bay and those days are coming... by the end of the month we will have lots of those warm days.

Next weekend will add compost and till the garden one more time and get the peas planted. Spent the day yesterday tilling up some new areas for more flower beds, (love my manits)my husband bought me a huge arbor. I put it not too far from the pond and am making paths/beds around it. It is 7' high 7' long and 4' deep with a bench on each side. So...since gardening season is upon us, the pond will have to wait til around the first of March for the rest of the cleanup and for the "new" falls. I love gardening here in February, as I mentioned thats when we put the pond in last year, it gets warm enough to do hard physical labor but not so warm that you want to pass out, LOL.
Jody

Toston, MT(Zone 4a)

RiseAnn,
I too am curious to see if your friend pulls it off.
I live in Montana (zone 4). I've always wanted a water feature and some fish, and even started on it one time. It
didn't turn out, so now it's a three layer flower bed. But I want to give it a try again.
I have horses and keep their water thawed with the submersible heaters. Guess I never thought of keeping a pond thawed with one.
Have you guys had the long, cold winter that we have?
If so, this year will be the ultimate test!
Let me know!
Heidi

Rapid City, SD(Zone 5b)

Hi Heidi :)
I talked with Karen today. She said they the pond is about three feet deep and only a part of it froze over at 14 below. She noted that the koi are sluggish, but otherwise fine. The majority of the babies are out there too now. She said they all stay at the bottom (by the heater). She said they also left the pump out there, but have not been running it since it got really cold. She's got some great colored koi and probably more this summer. She said the koi are getting whiskers now and aren't quite so cute, lol! I am thinking its worth a try, and I have a fish supplier (so far any way :)

(Zone 6a)

Finally, the ice has thawed here in Oklahoma. I noticed sprigs of water celery popping up; the corkscrew rush is still green (I don't believe it!); and iris are putting up new shoots. Haven't seen anything of the pickeral yet. And then there's the pennywort.........I swear nothing will kill that stuff!

Becky G.

Toston, MT(Zone 4a)

RiseAnn,
I'm getting some pretty big ideas rolling around in my head!
Thanks, and keep me updated (Please!)
Heidi

Terry
I also live in zone 7. Are you saying that I dont have to run the pond deicer to keep the water from freezing in the pond as long as I keep the fountain running? Is that enough to keep the pond water from freezing. Is there a minimim gallon required for it not to freeze?
thanks
Janice

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Minnie,

Yes, I think that’s true in our zone unless we have a real severe Winter. In that case I would have my homemade de-icer ready for action.

I had "plenty" of open water to keep the oxygen flowing and allow the methane to escape. If you shut the pump off and have the de-icer going it is almost mandatory to run an airstone for oxygenation. If I'm gonna pay for the electricity anyway, why not get to enjoy the waterfall sights and sounds

Pond size and flow will definitely play into the equation. There are limits. If you have a 200 gallon preform and a 150 gallon per hour pump, then keep your de-icer running and add an airstone.

Where in zone 7?

Just my humble opinion.
Terry

Falconer, NY(Zone 6a)

Thaw, whats that, although my pond was almost there, we got dumped on again this weekend, looks like we are still having a longggggggggggg winter here in western ny. maybe in may or june lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.