Clematis My Angel question

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I planted this clematis last fall along with a mallow that was in a quart size container. They both grew way larger than I ever expected and are now entwined with each other. I was wonder if the clematis can be cut back in either early or late winter? This picture shows the area I am talking about. There is an oblesik in there all though it is completely hidden by these two plants, I would like to purchase a larger oblesik to accommodate this clematis. This clematis also appears to send up runners?

Thumbnail by Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Is no one familiar with this clematis?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Marie..yes Clematis "My Angel" is a pruning group 3 / tangutica so should be hard pruned late winter/early spring each year for me it's the same time I prune my roses for the first time or when the Forsythias are in bloom..While I am not growing this one in my gardens I know people that do and say she is a real thug in the garden and very vigorous...

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yeah that is an understatement. Good to know I can cut her back. What do you think about digging her up in winter and moving her? Do clematis put out runners?

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Jeanne, are you saying you use these signs (forsythias in bloom) to start pruning. I sometimes forget to do certain chores. This would be a good memory key.
Pruning group 2 says prune right after flowering. Mine still has blooms along another that has died. Do I just pluck off the bloom or should I cut them back to the next axial?
Thanks,
Linda

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Marie..anything is possible with "My Angel"..LOL..just kidding..I imagine if any vines are laying on the ground ..they could possibly root..I can't honestly say but I doubt it...your cool fall period would be a great time to transplant her..remember to water well after doing so and toss a couple handfuls of bonemeal in her new planting hole
RDT..yes, that I do..I always prune my roses around Valentine's Day as well as my Clematis...considering that pruning times vary from zone to zone you can never go wrong if you do it when the Forsythias are in bloom or when you usually prune your roses for the first time of the year..I prune the seedhead off to the leaves..Jeanne

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok well I have new shoots coming out of the ground near her and they have to be from her. So let's say this one is very unusual. I am going to try and dig one up this weekend. I am really dumbfounded since I usually have to struggle to keep things alive here in the desert and this celmatis has gone wild! She will be getting a bit of a haricut along witht he mallow this weekend.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.