Blackberry sterility virus

Barnesville, GA

I am looking for some specific information about "blackberry sterility virus". I have read that cultured blackberry plants that flower but fail to set fruit and are otherwise very healthy looking and vigorous may be suffering from a virus that causes the failure to set fruit. The recommendation is to remove and destroy the plant and to be sure that there are no native brambles (a likely source of the virus) within 500 feet of the cultivated plants.

I have three excellent thornless varieties that are doing quite well and producing. In the same garden I planted a thorned variety that I bought at one of the "home improvement" stores. After 2 years, the thorny one was growing vigorously and healthy looking; it bloomed profusely this Spring but set no fruit. This was a nearly perfect fit for the description of "blackberry sterility virus" that I read in a couple of places.

My questions are, "How likely is it that my thornless varieties growing 5-10 feet away will become infected?" ; "Is the soil in the area where the supposedly infected plant was removed now contaminated with the virus because of the bits of roots that were inevitably left behind?"; and "If so, can the soil be "sterilized" to allow future plantings of blackberries?"

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

I hope somebody here answers your very articulate question!

We've never raised blackberries, but plan to put raspberries in next season.

In addition to this forum, you might also check out the Fruits and Nuts forum http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/fruit/all/ and between the two of them somebody might have a good answer for you. (Personally, I'm a gardening "nut" but I don't post or read on the Fruits and Nuts forum very often). :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.