Hard drive problem?

Arcata, CA(Zone 9b)

I have a Toshiba Celeron a40/a45 series satellite laptop. It came with XP home. I haven't used it in a while so I decided now that I am retired I might play with it. When I booted up it told me I had a problem with hal.dll file. I put in the restore CD (it does not have a floppy) and restored it to the original files. Still have the same message. I went on the internet and purchased a complete new XP Home and started to format the drive and copy windows onto the C drive. After formatting, I got the message Drive C is corrupted and can not be repaired. Setup unable to format partition. The disk may be damaged. It continued to do a full format and then it stopped with "The problem seems to be caused by file: partmgr.sys" I again tried to use my restore disk that came with this computer and again after it booted it gave me "problem with hal.dll. My question is: If I could find the file hal.dll on my window disk how can I copy it to my C drive if I only have a DVD/CD drive? Any suggestions. P.S. I have a compaq desktop that I used on a daily bases, so I don't want to spend a lot of money to buy a hard drive.
Thanks

This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!