Slug stopper?

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

I remember seeing a discussion about how to get rid of slugs before, but I didn't take notes. Can anyone refresh my memory?

The slugs seem to have taken up housekeeping in the asiatics and the zinnias!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Organically (and it really works) there is something they call "Escar-Go" that they sell at Gardens Alive. Locally you might find the same thing called Sluggo (I think a bad pun is required in the organic field.)

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

I bought the Escar-Go for my hostas and it works great. Which reminds me its time for me to buy some more.

Lansdale, PA(Zone 6b)

I have kept them away by throwing some all-purpose sand on the surface... I try to remember to do this for my lettuce and it works. same affect as diatomaceus earth... irritates their undersides.

Great problems solvers, guys.

I'll look for both of those products, and some sand. I don't know if I'll find them in time to help the asiatics though. My fingers are crossed.

Lansdale, PA(Zone 6b)

make sure the sand is all-purpose-- usually with the concrete supplies where I go--because play box sand has salt in it... at least that is what I was once warned about.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I understand the little slimers like beer. If you sink one of those deli cups full of beer in the ground around the plants they like, they will go for a drink and fall in and drown with a smile on their face. :)
I spent a couple years getting out there really early and with a disposable glove on, picking them up and squishing them every morning before they went back to hide for the day. Don't find many now.

(Zone 4a)

Beer does work. I have used it several times but dh gets a bit peeved every time he sees me sneaking a bottle LOL LOL

I'd like to try the beer thing, but we have too many dogs that freely roam the neighborhood, even though there is a leash law. I can just see them lapping up all the beer and then rolling all around my yard. Not to mention that my place would probably turn into a very popular doggie hang out!!

So I will look for some 'less attractive to canines' stuff to use.

(Zone 4a)

Hahaha that is how men behave after having a few LOL

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good one, Dawn!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Plus, who wants to empty slug traps?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Just tip it over behind a bush somewhere.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I might try the beer thing. Sluggo worked well when my plants were just coming up in the spring, but now it's so dense inside their leaves, and up against the fence, they're missing the poison.

Harper

Yes. The eggs have produced the summer crop and they're nearer the stems of hosta, daylilies, etc. I've seen them - itty bitty slugs that grow up just as slimy and ugly as their parents.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Yup! Eeeeew, I plucked one of those babies off my dog's head yesterday. That part of his fur now is clumped together. Ick!

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I think I saw some eggs today too. Are they tiny yellow balls? threw those suckers in the garbage. Threw the slug out for the birds to eat and my daughter felt bad for it and hid it!! ARGH!

The eggs I've seen in the past were like clear, round, very small balls of jello all massed together. Maybe they do get yellowish - I hope I don't get to see that.

(Zone 4a)

Hey I am telling you! The beer works! Buy youself a case and don't tell dh where it is LOL

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

We never had problems with them. Growing up my neighbor used beer and I guess they all went next door to party.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

dp, my son tries to spare the slugs too. Drives me nuts. One day he tried to force me to promise that I wouldn't kill them, just relocate them. I almost said okay!

I'm going for the beer trick. Getting DH to not find it will be tricky...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.