Can grackles use this suet log feeder?

Redcliff, AB

I finally managed to thwart the grackles by buying a Heritage Farms squirrel-proof (and pest bird proof) seed feeder. Now I'd like to add a suet feeder to my feeding station, and I have my eye on this log feeder.

It has bevelled "perches" and it looks like only clinging birds will be able to successfully use it. Does anyone have this feeder, or know if grackles will be able to raid it? Thanks so much in advance!

Thumbnail by Lady_Eagle
Marlton, NJ

Good question. I've only seen my Grackles eat suet in the winter. I would think the beveled perches would make it easier for them though.
The Starlings will definitely be able to use this one because there always trying to eat the suet on my log feeder. I only put mine out when I;m home to keep an eye on it.

Redcliff, AB

Thanks for your reply! I wonder if an upside down suet feeder would be a better choice, then?

Marlton, NJ

Sure, as long as you don't have trouble w/ Starlings or squirrels.

Redcliff, AB

I know that we have starlings up here, but luckily I've never seen a one! Squirrels either. Thanks again for your replies!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I sure like the looks of that feeder, though!

I do know that wal-mart no longer sells them. We clearanced the last one we had last winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.