'San Antonio Rose'

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I nearly let this one get by without getting a picture. The other bloom on the scape has already faded but this one is still good. Seems to like the high heat of July too.

Thumbnail by raydio
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Great colour raydio! I don't suppose it would like the cold July/summer we are having here, 12C yesterday. Got a moment of 23C today but the cold spells outweigh the warm ones.

I'm guessing you have it in a pot? It's supposed to be quite hardy but spares first to be sure!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

i want it !!!!!!

The color rendition is fairly accurate, save maybe a bit more blue-toned than it is in person, but it is of a good hue, lacking the usual orangey tones of so many Hippi hybrids. (Not that the orangey-toned reds are not deeply appreciated!)

Its a good multiplier, too.

The fisrt scape came on a bulb that had lost all foliage in the winter and still hasn't produced a leaf while the other bulbs have. Another bulb that has leafed out is producing a scape.

'San Antonio Rose' became a favorite as soon as I saw the wine-colored stripe down the leaf keels.

R.

Thumbnail by raydio

Yum!

Thumbnail by raydio
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Boy, I've never even heard of that one. Pretty.

wallaby~

Yes, the bulbs are in pots. I may try some in the ground, but probably not this year. As soon as I get a bed made under the eaves, I'll be planting quite a few there.

I think that winter wet (especially combined with cool-cold soil) is always the biggest threat to Hippeastrums (and many other bulbs as well) in winter. If they are in a warm enough climate and stay green, they do better. But when frost takes the foliage and they are forced into dormancy, they are at risk, and it's always from rotting in cold, wet soil.

This one over-winters in the ground around Dallas,Texas and other places on the Gulf and further south. Another one, the species H. striatum is subject to death from wet rot rather than actual coldness in the soil.

I think that there are some Crinums that are considered very tender and difficult to over-winter outside zone 10-11, that might actually be sensitive and vulnerable to moisture during dormancy and not the actual temperature surrounding the bulb itself. I have had many "tender" bulbs and plants freeze and or rot in the ground from wet, while those in pots by the house (that *never* got a drop of water once it got cold) have survived. Aloes and Agaves for example.

I'm looking for information on soil temperatures at various depths to explore this more fully. It may be that directions to plant a tender bulb 18" deep (Crinum scabrum for example) might actually be of benefit, not so much by its being warmer at that depth, but being less likely to receive much water penetrating to that depth, or not enough to be wet.

R.

'San Antonio Rose' and 'Supreme Garden'.

Thumbnail by raydio
Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

I wan´t it too 'San Antonios Rose'
just lovely
:o)
here are my hippeastrums and other bulbs
http://www.hobbyodlaren.com/liljor.html
~Sylvia

Nice bulb collection, Sylvia. The H. pardinum is exquisite!
Thanks for sharing.

R.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2007 6:45 PM

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I'm lusting after H pardinum also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.