Crown Rot?

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I was cleaning up one of my beds today and I think my Iris have crown rot. The leaves just pulled away very easily and they were brown and mushy where the leaves connected to the root. I read one site that said to trim back all my iris leaves and get up the debris (dispose of leaves so as not to infect anything else) But is there anything else that can be done" Would daconil be good ?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Did you dig them up to check? The rhizome may be fine but please dig and check. Cut away any mushy parts and disinfect with Clorox. I use about a cup to a gallon. Soak for five or ten minutes and allow to dry in full hot sun for a day, then replant but not where they had been. Good luck, Jazz.

I have some leaves that just pull away, too, but that doesn't mean the rhizome is bad.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

That sounds like bacterial soft rot to me. Yes, check the rhizomes for mushy or spongy, rotted areas (the flesh will be yellow if rotted, cream if healthy). Bacterial soft rot is also very stinky.

Soft rot will sometimes resolve on its own, or you can attempt to treat it either in-ground or after digging the rhizomes. If treating in-ground, use a sharpened spoon to dig out all of the rotted flesh, then sprinkle the wound liberally with a bleach-based kitchen cleanser like Comet. Leave the wound exposed to the sun. Do NOT cover with soil.

If digging the irises, cut out all rotted flesh, then soak the affected rhizomes in a solution of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water for 20 mins. Rinse in clear water, then allow the rzs to dry for several days in a protected area out of direct sunlight before replanting.

Unfortunately and in spite of whatever treatment you may try, some rzs are going to continue to rot and die. Other rzs will recover.

Laurie

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks guys. I did smell something while i was on the one area.. the rhizomes seem firm but i will double check today

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Sounds like the dreaded iris borer to me...

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Rot can attack a rhizome for a variety of reasons and causes. Borer damage is only one possibility.

My beds are now borer-free, but I had widespread rot throughout my beds this year as a result of weather related stresses that weakened my irises and left them vulnerable to erwinia bacteria.

Laurie

Clifton, TX

My bed has been hit w/rot in the last two weeks. I spoke w/a hybridizer who advised me to cut out the rot & pour full-strength Dial Antibacterial Hand Soap on the affected rhizome & all others in that clump.

I have also been advised to use 4 parts water to 1 part bleach & pour on the rhizome & all others in the clump.

I have treated different areas in the above 2 methods & will try to report later if I have been successful w/either method. We have had 1 8/10 inches of rain since I treated my bed, so I may have to retreat. Not sure.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Let them dry in the sun, cut face towards the sun, for a day, then replant in unaffected soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.