Aristolochia, but which one?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Elegans, Gigantea or yet another one? thanks for your help

Thumbnail by vossner
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Gigantea! Cool conversational piece. Here are mine.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm glad to know the real name of this one, I thought mine was grandiflora, but I see after looking that one up, it has a point on the end of it, and this one doesn't, so I have the gigantea too.

thanks Lily,

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Cathy, I purchased a dozen of these last year. 2 in a protected spot came back, but they haven't set flower yet. The one I've is a new one that still sit in pot. I was wondering if this particular vine like it pot bound. Any how, the 1st bloom started in June, this is my second flush of flowers.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm not really sure Lily.

I've got one in the greenhouse in a pot, growing up a trellis, and it has rooted through the pot now and is about 20 feet long and 5 feet wide, up inthe rafters and everywhere. And we cut this thing back to 2 foot last fall.

I have 2 more growing up a trellis in the front yard. and one is 4 times bigger than the other even though they were planted at the same time, no blooms on that one though, and not many on the one in the greenhouse, I suspect that's because it's not in the sun.

I really don't know if they like it root bound, I would think they'd grow bigger and better out of the pot in the ground. but since mine has gone through the bottom of the pot, it's considered in the ground now LOL

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Kathy, I'm uncertain of what's it really needs. The one came back for me, it's partially shaded by my clematis and Roses. But it did bloom last year. I think it may be half hardy, the small microclimate where I planted this particular one perhaps got sheltered thus safe from frost, and it's out of north wind. My second survival vine in the back was much too shady (on north side of the house). Thus just marginally growing and not making any bloom, ever.
Kim

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I have had the same question on mine. I have four, two have blotched leaves and the other two have solid leaves. The solid leaf ones have started to bloom but I was not sure which was which.
I think that the one that is blooming is Gigantea I think I"ll have to bring in this winter. By next winter I may be ready to let it do its own thing.
I have another one that has the real small flowers, maybe an inch long. Not sure the name of that one either. All summer it is covered with eggs or cats.

Thumbnail by picabo
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Betty,
I think the small one maybe Elegans, it's a specie thus will produce viable seeds. Yooohooo, I've one too (come to think of it, I haven't planted that one either. Still in a pot). There, you're right. We do like those unsual exotic looking vines.
Kim

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I've got a few other varieties, if I had my camera I'd take photos, one is about to bloom, it's a ground cover, that is variegated, and I forget the other two's names.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Whaa whoo...look at your with those unique blooms, Vossner...awesome...all the pics!!!

Edgewood, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello, I'm NEW to this forum, but I have some of these too...I love them. And they are beautiful!

Thumbnail by dudleype
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Welcome to the forum!!
I have one too but it had no name tag and it is not blooming yet.

Port Saint Lucie, FL(Zone 9b)

I just got a bunch of pictures of the different types from Butterfly World. get a bloom and I will try to help.

Flutter

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Someone sent me seeds a few years ago and I just got around to planting them. I have 4 growing in 3 gal pots with a circular tomato cage for support. They haven't bloomed and the package was marked Dutchman's Pipe Vine but nothing else. I had one a few years ago that was decimated by cats and never came back but the leaves were huge compared to this one. I will have to wait to see if I get blooms and then maybe someone can ID it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.