Wren watch

Citra, FL

I knew I had a wren nest somewhere, cause she kept hanging around. I finally found it, the first wren nest Ive found. Can you see her?

Thumbnail by halo
Citra, FL

Heres a close up, she is about the cutest thing I think Ive ever seen....next to all the other bird moms around here...

Thumbnail by halo
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

AWWW!! That's so adorable! Wrens do pick the neatest places to nest. After havivng empty nest syndrome from the sudden quiet after my wrens left, I noticed one of the parents came back to the house this morning and walked around on the roof and then went inside. I wonder if they are thinking of raising another brood?

I hope you keep us updated with more pics halo! That is one of the most unusual places for a nest I have seen. You need to put a huge snake baffle aroung the whole bale of hay lol!!

Citra, FL

You know, I really think the snake population is really really low this year. I have seen tons of carndinal babies, and didnt lose a single bluebird batch. I havent even seen one this year, and I usually see a couple anyway. Im not complaining. I know snakes are a good thing...blah blah blah. I just dont need them around here.

Marlton, NJ

Very cute! Thats a Carolina Wren; right? I love them!

Citra, FL

I dont know Helen, you tell me what she is......is that a Carolina wren? Do we need more identifying marks to define her?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Carolina Wren. Spot the bright white eyebrow.

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Yes, the ones Susan has don't have the white eyebrow; hers are House Wrens.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is a house wren to compare. The Carolina Wrens are also larger. Interestingly enough, House Wrens have been known to kill bluebirds over nesting sites but not Carolina Wrens.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Citra, FL

Thanks, guys. Obviously a difference there. Im relieved to know they are Carolina wrens, tho I thin any wrens would have a tough time with the Bluebird Mob I have here now. It is so wonderful to be outside and hear that plaintive peeeeeeep that the bluebird babies cry all around me.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

LUCKY!! I hope I get so lucky next season!

Citra, FL

Susan, did you take that wren picture? Wow, it needs to be on some online identification source. What a great picture.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Cava! The telephoto really helps plus once they have babies in a bird house they are easier to get close pictures of. All these wren pictures should be mentally accompanied with their their really loud mad grating rattle noises. ha ha.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I just pulled a nest out of the back of my Gas Grill! We hadn't used it in a while and when I went out to light it for dinner this past week, there was straw coming out of the back, and sure enough a large wren nest on the tray under the burners in the backside of my grill...lol They were long gone though...thank goodness. It did take a few minutes to be certain there were no eggs or babies in there.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

That might have just been a 'cock nest' - male wrens build several nests each spring, and the female then chooses the one she likes best. The ones that don't get used are called 'cock nests'.

Resin

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It may have been.....but I know they made one in a box in my garage that was not used, and I had wondered where they ended up...lol

Citra, FL

waaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! the eggs are infested with ants!!! wah wah wah wah!!! I could just spit. Oh well, it happens I know. Im off to the hardware store to spread Amdro all around the barn, Ill take care of those little buggers. sniff

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh I'm so sorry! Is the mother still sitting on the eggs or did the ants drive her off? I wonder if one of the eggs is leaking and that's what might have attracted the ants? Keep us posted! I hope the amdro will take care of the problem.

Citra, FL

No, she's gone. They don't play with those ants, they are vicious. Wah....

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, that is too bad...sorry!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.