CLOSED: Need help with i.d. please

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I think this might be a Solitary Vireo, but not sure - it's new to me, I've not seen this bird around here before.

Thumbnail by Murmur

Front view.

Thumbnail by Murmur
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

One of the Empidonax flycatchers, a notoriously difficult group to identify. By location, either Hammond's Flycatcher or Pacific-slope Flycatcher (a.k.a. Western Flycatcher). Slight preference for Hammond's, but the scientific name of Pacific-slope (Empidonax difficilis) says it all!

Resin

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

At first I thought it was a Tufted Tit-Mouse...but I see it doesn't have the same markings...cute little thing isn't it!

Thanks, Resin - I'm really glad to know what it is.

JanetS, yes it is really cute!!! And it had been such a long time since I'd seen a "new" bird that I was really excited. It sat on that wire for awhile, but not long - glad I had my camera!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It is a cutie and I am glad you had your camera too!

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Sweet lil songsters aren't they??
Great pic!!!
MsC

Melbourne, FL

I see some family resemblance to my Great Crested Flycatcher.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

THAT is cool!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I see some family resemblance to my Great Crested Flycatcher

Same family Tyrannidae, though different genera.

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pic!

Melbourne, FL

Thanks Pelletory. I had a pair of them over the winter and early spring, and they did have a very lovely song. I usually heard them before I saw them.

Gardenpom, great picture! And a lovely bird. I'm still excited over seeing the Western Flycatcher and sure do hope to see one again. I haven't been home at all so haven't had a chance to sit and watch.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.