What ails my crookneck squash?

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi,

My crookneck (in earthbox) is afflicted by something. They were well fertilized according to earthbox instructions. I am thinking the cucumber beetles I am seeing out and about may be responsible, but what is it exactly that they are suffering from?

Any ideas? And any tips on how to prevent it (bearing in mind I garden organically), are there resistant varieties etc?

This message was edited Jul 20, 2007 7:45 PM

Thumbnail by essentialplanet
Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Photo number 2

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Photo number 3

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Photo number 4

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

My crook neck squash is also looking similar to this (although not quite as bad). The leaves are yellow and pale and even though it has bloomed it has not set any fruit. My zuchinni, on the other hand, is growing like crazy. It is waste high, dark green, healthy and very prolific. The plants are not that far apart and are in very similar soil. Why the big difference?

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

I've read somewhere that cuke beetles larvae eat the roots and are spreading a virus or bacteria that kills the plants. I keep mine covered with insect barrier until they start to bloom and then take it off. Then spray regularly with pyrethrine / canola oil or Neem after the covers come off to keep ahead of the bug curve. Best to spray late in the evening after the bees have gone to bed.

Also helps with the squash vine borers & squash bugs.

Could also be wilt, blight or mildew . . . .

edited for typos . ..

This message was edited Jul 22, 2007 8:52 AM

Thumbnail by jozeeben

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.