Brug going v v yellow

Essex, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I have a pink flowered 5 foot brug growing in a 15" pot. Despite feeding with tomato fertilizer & watering twice a day most of the leaves are going bright yellow. Anyone have any ideas. Could it be red spider - looks like it to me but it's outside - in the UK we usually don't have probs with red spider mite outdoors? The plant is outside on my deck in a sunny spot. I live in the UK normally brugs last for the summer before we have to prune them & bring them in
Ros

[ Removed by member request. - Admin ]

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

karma, how often are you feeding your brugs right now? still at 4 days?

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Rosalia,
Your plant might need iron. When they grow a a rapid rate most fertalizers don't seem to have enough iron to keep up with the rapid brug growth. I use Ironite regularly or buy a fertalizer with iron added.
Barbara

It's on a wooden deck not concrete - I can't see any red spider we usually don't get them outdoors in the UK only in greenhouses/conservatorys as the temps outside are usually in the low 70's (apart from an odd day or two)It just looks a bit like a bad attack minus the bugs. I'll take a pic & post it tomorrow.
Ros

Here are the pics
http://members.aol.com/rosmwilkinson/images/brug3.jpg

http://members.aol.com/rosmwilkinson/images/brug2.jpg

http://members.aol.com/rosmwilkinson/images/brug1.jpg
My brug is fed with tomato fertiliser every day & it gets watered sometimes 3 x a day. Noticed some small white empty insect skins on the underside of the leaves. Even the young leaves are going yellow.Hope someone can help
Ros

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Rosalia: I live in zone 4, Wisconsin...and although we do have some very hot/humid spells, I usually never see spider mites outdoors on anything either, (actually, never have, and have even placed indoor plants with spider mite attacks outdoors and the 'vacation' seems to be their demise) BUT....my brugs do get spider mites...not all of them, but a couple of plants in particular seem to be susceptible to them. Mine are also on a wooden deck, and it does get very hot during the day (can't walk on it barefoot!) I also place a water filled saucer under the plants during the day while I'm at work, as KHT does...but there is still that plant or two that gets mites!! I have used Volck Oil Spray with success in keeping them away...it's made by Ortho, and is readily available at hardware stores/ Wal Mart, etc... - around $5 US.....if you decide to use it, be sure to do so in the shade, and leave the plant in the shade for several days afterwards. Granular systemic insecticide works well too, but again, if you decide to use it, place the plant in the shade for several days....I learned my lesson about that the hard way!

Thanks for that Nan. I'd love to buy the stuff from Walmart but unfortunately there is only one store in the UK - over 300 miles away! :)
........ However I spend my winters in Naples Fl so will have a look when I go back late september.
My deck gets too hot to stand on too! & i must admit it's been overwarm here recently & v humid lows in the 70's - highs in the high 80's( & we don't have air con :( - awful trying to sleep ) Reckon my problem is spider mite. I sprayed the brug with Sybol tonight & I could see the tiny webs so I think i'll carry on spraying. Surprised the brug went down so quickly tho'
Ros

If your brug is outside and it has spider mites, spray with insecticidal soap. Then keep spraying it with water every day and it should disappear. The new leaves should come in fine. For some reason only one of about 30 in pots got red spider outside this year. Red spider hates high humidity so the water spraying really helps. In the greenhouse in the winter I buy beneficial insects for aphids, red spider and white fly. Works like a charm. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for that. I'll start spraying it with water every day when the sun is off it. Hopefully the sybol will have killed most of them (it did on the columnea in my conservatory) Is it worthwhile watering in Provado?
Ros

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

KHT - SSSHHHH -

this may be a stupid question----- but what is a Brug? never heard of it.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

uh oh :)
http://kirchner-abel.de/index.htm
you'll be converted and be back!!

Burlington, ON

I see that you said you feed it with tomatoe food every day.
Could it be that you are giving it too much fertilizer and gently burning it?

Don't think so - my tomatoes are fine & fed at the same rate. Definitly saw lots of red spider webs when I sprayed it so i reckon its that. Does any one know by the way if brugs prefer acid or alkaline soil/compost.
Ros

Karma - Are you saying then they prefer ordinary as opposed to acid (ericaceous) compost? Looks like from what you say they prefer soil based rather than peat based compost.
I know for certain I'll be growing them again next year - spider mite or not!! The webs had neatly fringed all the leaves!!!! Definitely mite!
Ros

Thanks for that - Yes - we do have Raid here
Ros

I'll try! LOL Even the new small leaves are mottled yellow. Never had a spider mite infestation like this before. The webs on the edges of the leaves looked quite pretty when I misted it!

Thanks Karma. I'll definitely be growing them again next year. Just need to find a seed supplier. Don't have many in the UK.
Ros :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.