What's wrong with my passie?

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

I potted this Blue Horizon up to a larger pot about two weeks ago and look what happened. Here is the plant earlier - http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/730838/

The soil is moist and it's getting lots of sun, but what's causing it to wilt? Some of the leaves feel brittle.
I used a regular potting soil with a little perlite for drainage. No fertilizer.

Help.

Thumbnail by KaperC
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Sometimes when I first move things into a new pot, I've found they do better if I give them a bit of shade for a little while. No matter how careful you are when transplanting you're always going to damage the roots slightly, and they'll recover from that faster if they don't have the sun beating down on them all day.

Actually, Liz, that's what I did. For the first week or so it was just getting morning sun and filtered sun the rest of the day. I moved it more into the sun because it wasn't recovering. lol Can't win, can I? It's pretty breezy and in the 80s here now, so I'm a little more careful, because things dry out (my young clematis are really drinking like mad). But with moist soil and brittle leaves, I start "worriting" as my DH would say. Guess I'll just try to keep it moist, not wet, and watch the sun. It's such a beauty, I don't want to lose it.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

It just hasn't had time to get it's feeder roots stabilized yet - it should be ok in a few days, but right now, it shouldn't be in any sun. It doesn't have the ability to take up the amount of water it needs, so too much water will rot those roots that aren't able to function. Give it time to recover. If the wilted leaves bother you, cut them off - new ones will take their place. It would do much better if you didn't water the soil - let it nearly dry out, then mist the plant itself.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think with our lack of humidity sometimes the brittle crispy leaves are hard to avoid, I've had that happen to lots of my plants (mostly the ones that would really rather be living in Florida rather than California, but I've had it happen to more climate-appropriate plants too). Most of them have come back and recovered, I just had to keep them out of the sun for a while, and I'll also mist the leaves from time to time, that seems to help too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for yours that it pulls through!

Misting! Of course, why didn't I think of that? Thanks to you both for giving me a knock in the head.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

K, I've got that same one (from Mark?) and I've bumped it up and you can bet right now that I'm not going to put it in the full sun for a good long time. Thanks for the heads up.
Sherry

And you can bet I'll be misting!

Latest update on this little puppy. It seems very delicate. Apparently the roots have recovered after its repotting adventure, as it is growing and putting out blossoms. But it is still very sickly looking - yellowish leaves and just kind of limp. However, it's putting out buds again! Should I remove them so the plant can have the energy, or will it encourage more budding? I've been giving it a little SThrive - does it need something else?

Kathleen

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Take that white Pot from under the other pot out ill bet any thing that the roots are soaked Paul

Hmmm...I'll check it, Paul - but it has a large drainage hole - it's just keeping the lighter one from being blown over.

I think you're right, Paul, that might be the problem. I've made some changes and will watch for improvement. Thanks for responding.
Kathleen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.