Woo hoo! Mini white cukes

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I really love these...I've grown them for 3 years now. FYI, I got the seeds from Johnny's. Tamara

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Very cute! What's the approximate size? An egg?

Do they taste like other cucumbers?

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Cool zone girl!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

About the length of a finger. They taste like other cukes, and the skin is very thin, so you don't really need to peel them.

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Looks and sounds like a great cuke, Tamara. I hope you will post photos and description on PlantFiles.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Actually, I did, last year (or 2005)! Here it is: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/69790/

Tamara

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I just picked my first one today! Oh, yum!!! Heading for a salad as we "speak"!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Nice!!! I love eating stuff from my own garden! Tamara

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I spotted a bunch more babies on the vine. I think they will be ready for picking when I return from vacation! Those and the Poona Kheera.

On a bad note - I have my first ever buds on one of my brugmansias - the day before I'm leaving. I will be soooo upset if the blooms I've been waiting on for THREE YEARS open while I'm away. Talk about irony!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Ugh! That would stink! Hope they wait for you!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

General consensus on the brug forum is that they won't be opening for a week or so yet, so i should be fine! Whew!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I know it's not a veggie, but...

Here's my first every brug bud, getting ready to put on her show. (There are 12 buds on the plant, 2 at this "holding my breath" stage!)

Thumbnail by Sequee
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I have my first ever datura bud...and it's the only one on the plant. I can't wait until it opens! Tamara

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I hear ya!!!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

It looked terrible after being pelted by rain. :-( I'll try again next year, in a sunnier location. Tamara

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Zone5girl....a productive plant? I always want more of everything than I can use.

Just in case.

Sequee.... I assume correctly you started the brug from seed. . .?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

David_Paul...This is my first year growing it. This one I purchased but I also started some from seed, although those didn't make it due to my negligence. It's not doing well, but if I move it, it might do better. Tamara

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

No, it was a cutting from MSJen in 2004. It's rosa uberraschung, and she's doing great!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

The second flower was even prettier than the first...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

...and then there were 2!!!

By the way, I just picked2 more mini-white cukes this evening, and they were every bit as good as the first few! Yummers!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Ok, just one more shot! I can't help it - I waited so long. And thank heavens Tamara's a flower buff or I'd'a been thrown off this thread a week ago!

I don't know what happened to my camera here, but it's kind of cool!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous!!! I can't wait until some day when I live in an area where my garden gets full sun! A few hours of morning light just isn't cutting it! Tamara

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Sorry - I know I said that was the last one, but...there's 2 new additions to my living room I have to share. They are first's, too. I cannot believe my house/yard this evening...2 new brug blooms, a passiflora opened on the vine, and now these...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Sequee....I see, unlike brugs, passiflora isn't poisonous.

Sure the vegetable thread is the place to discuss it?

:-)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Of course not, but I like the people over here best of all! And like I said, I wouldn't intorduce the flower topic on someelse's thread if they, too, weren't flower-fans! And Tamara's all that! (Besides, serves her right for introducing the Black Current Swirl which I have been trying to grow for years. I cannot get a datura to grow to save my life. Last year I started about 8 babies from seed, gave 2 each to 3 neighbors, and kept the other 2 for myself. Everyone got flowers 'scept me!)

But, back to the mini-whites... Have you gotten a high yield? I've only gotten about half a dozem maybe 8 so far. I'm wondering if it's because they are getting too shaded by the corn.

Anyone doing better?

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Sequee, far from white cucumbers, but I have white datura plants that reseed like weeds all over my garden every year. Let me know if you want any an I'll mail you some this Fall.
Rosemary

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Sequee, congrats on flowers! On the cukes, I find that they will produce abundantly if given enough sun. Mine aren't sited well, so I don't get a lot. But I planted some at my neighbor's, who get much more sun, and they grow like gangbusters! (but for some reason, her's have a bad case of powdery mildew and mine don't...go figure) I find that my lemon cukes are my slowest growers so far. Tamara

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I always hear people say they get so many cukes they're sick to death of them by the end of the season. I'd like to experience that just once!!! I'm very happy with the flavor, though. Last night I was a glutton - I ate 2 of these and an English Cuke with half each of a Black Beauty, Costata Romanesco, and Rhone de Nice Zukes, a Papaya Pear Squash, and several tomatoes - all lightly salted with a ranch dressing dip. It was a great dinner!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

With my eggplants, I made ratatouille over pasta with pecorino romano and extra virgin olive oil. The next dish I'm going to try with the eggplant is moussaka. Funny thing is...I don't even like eggplant and don't eat what I cook! But my DH loves it and so does my mom and MIL so it's worth it. I don't like tomatoes either...only thing I grow that I like are the cukes and herbs! Tamara

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

I'll have to flip a coin. Drive east to Carmel, NY, or drive west to Painesville, OH, for dinner? :)

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

You can have OH, I'm trying to get myself invited to Sequee's.. LOL.. **sniffing bunny on the hunt**

edited to add: Is anyone going to Logee's in Oct??

This message was edited Aug 14, 2007 3:19 PM

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm heading there on Friday with JRush. Would be happy to go there again in Oct...Nov...Dec. Talk about delighting your sense. Yowska!!!

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Me so jealous.. I know the Northeast Gardening forum is talking about a gathering there in Oct so, guess that's my chance to check it out..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/758415/

BTW, have you been to White Flower Farm? My neighbor and I went like two months ago. She was telling me how much bigger their stuff are at the nursery that the ones they send.. They have some nice flowers there too..

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

That's on our list, too! Might not make it this time, though, since I want to hit Quackingrass - if that's spelled correctly???

have you been to Stonecrop in Carmel? Or to the Orchid Farm in Brewster?

How funny that you grow so many things that you don't eat - and cook them, too! Very nice of you, I must say. I live alone, so I'm spoiled rotten - just grow and cook what I like! (And the doggies get pretty spoiled with the "sharing". (Hannibal had a habit of picking up Juliet Grape tomatoes in his mouth and carrying them into other rooms. He doesn't eat them, or even break the skin. He just relocates them (so I can step on them, I guess?). Weird little dude!

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

ROTFLOL... Maybe Hannibal's fetching it for you to cook with.. :) Can't say I've been to Quackingrass, Stonecrop nor Orchid Farm.. Now that you mentioned them, I'm gonna have to check those out too..

Tamara is just nice.. I'd have problems growing stuff I didn't like.. But then again, I love fruits and veggies.. My entire family loves meat. So unless I'm growing cows or chickens, I'm fine.. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.