Rooting Rhodo Cuttings?????

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I do not visit this Thread very often, so forgive me if this has been covered before, BUT......

A small branch broke off my neighbor's Rhododendron. ( think it might be a JPM)
I am caring for their yard while they are away on vacation.
This branch had a bunch if new growth tips on it (6) that already had the new flower buds forming on them.

I would like to try and root them. Just for fun! Here is what I have done so far....

Trimmed all the leaves in half

Removed the bloom buds

I will scar the bottoms of the hardened off new growth and dip them in some rooting hormone and put them in some seed starter soil. Keep them outside in shade.

What are my chances? Should I cover the pots with plastic?
How do you all recommend that Rhodies be rooted?

Thanks for any advice,

Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Went outside and took pictures of the cuttings to show you.

Here are all the cuttings.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is one close up.

What do you all think?????

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Here is a site that might help.

www.donaldhyatt.com/ARSPVC/newsletter.html - 8k

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

trim all but the last whirl of leaves. cut the stem down to 3-4 "put in a mix of 1/2-1/2 peat to pearlite, dampened, but don't get waterloged, dip in rooting hormone the last inch and place into the mix. cover the container with plastic to maintain 100% humidity. place in bright shade with no direct sun. The cuttingsof PJM root fairly easily but since this is yourv first try don't expect to root more then 50%. When you can tug them and feel resistance transfer each of them to a seperate 4" pot , but keep the humidity high by only leaving the plastic cover open 1/2". Keep protected in the shade for the rest of the year and place them in a protected spot (UNHEATED GARAGE)for the winter.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

arfitz,

Thanks! pretty much what i was going to do anyways--except removing all the leaves except the last whorl.

I have 6 cuttings. I will put them all in one of those really big 6-cell packs. They are almost like 3" pots each section.

I am not really sure if this is a PJM. The blooms are more red than purple.

I have NO garage. I have a shed--but that will probably also freeze if we have severe weather. I DO have a basement. It is part of the house, and there are no heat vents there. However, it only has ONE teensy weeny window up high, so there would be almost NO light.
I could set the tray on the windowsill. Watering would be very sporadic. I don't go there a lot to do anything in the winter.
If I keep them in the plastic, could they stay semi-dormant?

This is just for fun! I really don't care if they make it or not.

Gita

Here's a picture of the bloom. Can anyone ID this Rhodo?

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Malvern, PA(Zone 7a)

Looks like Nova Zembla, a popular large-leaf hybrid. Blooms noticeably later than PJM, bigger leaves. Very popular in the nursery trade.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

jessup,

No, it is not Nova Zembia. That one is a deep red. I have grown that one. Besides, this is an early bloomer, that's why I think it is a JPM.--but JPM's are a lot more purple.

The picture shows more red than it actually is.

It doesn't matter if I know the name or not, I was just wondering....
By now all the cuttings have died. All the leaves fell off and the stems are all brown. Perhaps the wrong time of year for taking cuttings? Too hot? We are having way too many days in the 90's!

Thanks, Gita

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

definetly cover the plants with plastic. and you can get a slightly better strike if you will wound the stem by making a 1/2 " cut down to the cambium aon both sides of the stem about 1" above the end.

Concord, NH

I am pretty sure that your rhodie isn't any of the PJM group. Yours has those darker freckles on the upper lip, which none of the PJMs have, either in my memory or in any of the photos I just looked at online. Also, all of the PJMs (it's actually a group of related plants from the same crosses) have foliage that has a darker, redder tone in colder weather, and some retain at least some of the reddish tones in warmer weather as well.

You could visit the American Rhododendron Society's web page which has a search option. You search by various characteristics, and perhaps you can find yours that way.
http://www.rhododendron.org/search_intro.htm

Winnetka, IL

Maybe it's 'Olga Mezitt'?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Plantaholic,

That would be funny--as the picture of the Rhodo I posted is actually my neighbor's, but it faces my house, so I am the one who gets to enjoy it--and I LOVE it! Talk about neglect! My neighbor does NOTHING for it!
I don't think she even sees it as she is NOT a garden person and stays indoors most of the time.

Here's the "funny"......Her name is Olga. She is from Spain. If I went to PF, would the name
"Olga Mezitt" be listed there???? I'll have to go look......

Thanks, GitaGita

Winnetka, IL

LOL- I think you should tell people it's an 'Olga Mezitt' no matter what! The pic on PF looks like a very light pink, but I've seen Olgas in my area that are a deeper pink. But the truss and leaves look a lot like yours.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Plantaholic,

This one is really, really deep pink! A beautiful deep pink--just like on the picture I posted.
Also, the bush has an upright growth habit. Taller than wide. Heavy bloomer--even with absolutely NO fertilizing or attention. I am envious!

Gita

Winnetka, IL

Maybe you should offer to plant some more in the same spot; obviously a perfect Rhodie spot, and you'd get the view!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.