Unknown Mandy vine.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

This vine bloomed for me today, but it doesn't resemble anything that I ordered this spring. Any ideas on what it might be? When the picture is enlarged, you can see the white rim around the flower. It's actually prettier than what I was expecting.

Thumbnail by Brugie
Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Drool!! A picotee mandy? Be still my heart, that's gorgeous!! Ahem, sorry, don't know the cultivar, but had to say something because it is beautiful. :)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I usually buy Mandevilla vines and then throw them away in the fall, but I may have to keep this one. Thanks Lily...I'm glad you like it.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

That is gorgeous Shirley. Congratulations!

Erick

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful contrast in colors...very nice!

It is pretty, wow!

Joseph

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone. Cross your fingers that I can hold it over the winter.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

The white edging makes it a keeper....gorgeous!! You can do it, Brugie!!
:) Donna

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Here is the same bloom with a new bloom beside it. I had to hold them up because they were so heavy they were hanging down. I can see a slight picotee edge on the pale pink flower now, so will have to wait and see if it remains edged in white and if it turns dark like the first bloom. Isn't it possible that the first bloom can be different from the others? They can be different with brugmansia. I'm sure hoping that they will all turn dark and edged. Pink alone isn't that pretty. LOL!

Thumbnail by Brugie
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I didn't take a picture this morning, but I looked at the plant and the new bloom is beginning to look like the darker bloom in the above picture. I'm hoping they will all do this.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Ah Shirley, the pink IS pretty. Just he picotee edge is so much prettier with the red. Gorgeous!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

A picture taken today of the picotee blooms. At least they are holding their edge as new blooms open.

Thumbnail by Brugie
Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

W - O - W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Shirley
that is gorgeous
did you buy one last year with a white edge
or do you think its just something that showed up?

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

shirley,

Are you going to try and overwinter it by leaving it in the ground and mulching it or are you going to bring it inside? I hope you do not lose that beauty!!!! I love Mandevillas and last year had the newer double pink---It looked like a Rose but I have forgotten the name.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

those doubles were the parfait(spelling is not my strong point)
Pink,moonlight...there are some others

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks crestedchik,

Yes I remeber now that was the name. I wish now I had tried to save it instead of tossing it out after Frost.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

CC, I just bought it this year and it just happened. It came from Parks. It's good to see you. Been a long time. Hope you are well. Still have a greenhouse full of tropicals???

Betty, I'm going to try to over-winter it in the house. We get to 20 below zero sometimes, so it wouldn't make it outside, I'm sure. I'm going to need a lot of luck to keep it alive. Sometime between now and frost, I've got to research how to grow it in the house.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Shirley its nice to see you too
I try to keep a low profile......
I lurk a lot
drool a lot
and get soooo jealous
I'm OK
Hope you're doing well
and yes to the tropicals...and I added 20 feet to the GH so I can fit MORE

What was it order as?
a red?
Its just so unusual and again.....I feel envy.....sigh
LOL

Everyone ends up with neat stuff ...sports,chimeras.....
I got a sport ,coming out on of all things...pokeweed
Its white.......
not a big want list for that one....LOL

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

CC, I ordered it as Janell. When it first opens a bloom you would think it was going to be just pink, but it gets darker than the ones I've seen pictured and the edging is a definite plus. I'll have to try to get some pieces rooted. If Kyle comes down, maybe I can talk him into rooting some of it too.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

yeah baby
Kyle can root anything

I tried rooting some of my mandi's
out of 10 I think 2 rooted

I'm soooo propagation challenged

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Brugie,,

I dug up one in my planter one year and cut it back and potted it and grew it in my basement under lights. It leafed out a little but took forever to bloom the following year, but if I had one like yours it I would baby it to the limit!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Betty, I've been thinking about it and will probably put it right under one of the lights I use during the winter. One of them is strong enough to produce blooms on hibs and brugs, so maybe it will be enough to keep this plant alive. I wish I lived someplace where it wouldn't cost a fortune to heat a greenhouse and so I wouldn't have plants under foot all the time. Hopefully I'll be able to get some cuttings to root. I'd love to be able to share.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Brugie,

I would love to have a greenhouse. I tried that one year and had begonias and geraniums and the Mandy in the basement under lights and I too just do not like having plants all over the house so I do not do that anymore. I only do it in March when I start the seeds under lights.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

That's when I start mine up too. By that time I'm so sick of plants, I have to get them out of the house. One year, we would like to have the windows to look out of. LOL!

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Amen to that Brugie!!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.