Help! No stems or flowers this year!

Wilbraham, MA(Zone 5a)

I have had hybrid daylilies for several years now. This spring all my plants came back. However, 4 of them produced no stems and therefore no blooms. This is a first! Their greens were small but in excellent condition. Does anyone know what happened? How can I avoid this next year, if at all?

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

They sometimes need dividing after 3-5 years, but it seems like you should have had some blooms.

puttyrat =^^=

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

I had a patch that did not bloom,a first in several years, they needed to be thinned out; all small plants in barely any soil. I had iris that did not bloom, for the first time in years, I am blaming that on our strange weather this spring.

Wilbraham, MA(Zone 5a)

Thank you Marcia & Puttyrat for your input! We have had really strange weather this year and maybe that is the problem. We had a very hot late April for Massachusetts - in the 90's. Then it plunged below 32F the start of May. This caused all commercial fruit crops - apples and peaches - to bloom way too early. The blooms were then killed by the frost. Most fruit crops in Massachusetts & Connecticut were at least 75% destroyed as a result. I don't know if this would affect day lilies as they are normally hearty. It is a possiblity though and one I never considered.

As for splitting them, next year will be the best year to do so based on size and age of these plants. But, again, an excellent suggestion. Any other ideas or experiences?

Thanks, so much!
hotshot

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Hotshot, last year(my first in a new house)none of the daylilies produced stems. I thought they would need dividing before they would bloom, but I never did get around to it, and this year they bloomed like crazy! Go figure.
Cynthia

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

if the crown gets covered too much by dirt washing over, they won't bloom. We had some that hadn't bloomed in 4 years, the dogs dug them up, I replanted and got a wonderful bunch of blooms out of them. Seems being too deep is one of the major causes of them not blooming.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Daylilies like lots of water and good drainage too. My Stellas quit blooming and I thinned them, they bloomed soso, but I really think they need lots mor water. Thanks for the info about the crowns, I hadnt thought of that.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

If you have a warm spell in the late winter that gets them growing, then it freezes and the buds that are just beginning to form get killed. It happens with Iris too. Even though you don't see them yet, the tiny buds are being formed and can be damaged by extreme cold.
Cala

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.