All were cut by 10 AM.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Now they are ready to be bunched.
This load produced 64 bunches of 6.

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Nice photos! You don't see a field of glads everyday (at least I don't).

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Very beautiful and impressive! Do you display them on that cool wagon at the market? I grow them but I hate cutting anything from my garden so I buy flowers at our farmer's market when I get over there. Whatcha growing in the row in front of the glads? Just being nosey:)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

No, we just dug the wagon out of the weeds the other day. My neighbor gave it to me maybe 10 years ago. It sat by the entrance to our farm one year with a bunch of big pots of flowers. To hard to keep watered at the time & in the way for mowing.
It was in the local town parade one year, pulled it with my old Farmall Super "C".
My son likes it for hauling pails when he is out picking.

The two rows in front of the glads are cabbage & kohlrabi plants, just put out. There was a crop of early potatoes there first.
We need 2 rows of something small, then 4 rows of glads, then 2 rows of small. This is so I can drive through to spray the glads for thrips.
Bernie

This pic is last Saturday.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I know its a lot of hard work and long hours but I think ya'll are living my dream:LOL: Of course, the ideal would be to be independently wealthy and not have to live off the farming/flower monies=) Now, that I put that in writing it sounds kind of loopy. Have money to live on comfortably and still toil in a garden...well...guess that's a gardeners dream right?;)

I love all of your glad photos though. I have family up in MN and had forgotten how green it is there.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

On the brown side this year. Rain has failed us. We mowed our lawn for the third time thie year, this week & only because it was looking ragged.

Just for the record, ¼ of the money we took in today went to pay helpers! On top of that gas to get there & electric bill to get all things washed & ready.
Yesterdays Glad hours, 1½ hours each for 2 people to pick them, then 2 hours to get them bunched for sale. It took one person at market just for selling them.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow! I know what you mean about the money you have to put out for the farm. One of my coworkers who has worked with me for 10 years was still farming tobacco here in NC when she started working here (she's now 72). I was so shocked by how much money she had to put out for well, everything! They hired Mexican people to harvest and work the crops with her and her family, luckily they had a very large pond to get the water from and then all the stuff like buying the plants, the fertilizer, the equipment upkeep and maintainance and the list goes on. Then I could have been knocked over with a feather when she told me that you can only grow as many pounds as the government allows each farmer and then when they went to the tobacco auction and she was happy they got $1.60 a pound--I didn't see how it really worked out financially for any of them. She just said some years were better than others, you had to save and just ride it out. I have a lot of respect for anyone one, especially small farms, that still try to make a living at it.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

beautiful glads!! You have a great variety of colors.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Have you heard of CSA? Some of us in this area try to support the local farmers by buying vegetables and fruits with them for the whole season.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Country, lovely lovely lovely and so much work.
Lili, I don't know what CSA stands for, but tomorrow is my last day of getting vegetables for the summer season from an organic farm down the road - they provide veggies for a club with about 14 members now who have subscriptions. I'm hoping they do a fall one, too.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

CSA is "Community Supported Agriculture" and is pervasive here in the Pacific Northwest. Some farms sell a seasons worth of produce for a set fee and will allow pickup or delivery weekly during the growing season. A great way to get your Veggies. Check the farming websites in your area.

Here is a link for you to find your local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture):
http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

We, the local residence in our area, get together and make a committment to buy vegetable and fruits from a specific local farmer for a season or two (x number of weeks). We pay for those x number of weeks ahead of time. This allows the farmer the budget to grow their vegetables and fruits and deliver to a designated area for all of us each week.

It is a really good program if your family eats vegetables and fruits and you get them fresh.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info, Lili. I'm sure this is what we have here. They only drawback (this is a new program) for me is not being able to pick and choose what I want for the week. I always get veggies (bell peppers, particularly) that I don't eat or that I can grow (zucchini) and there are no options for substitutes, so generally I've given a good portion of my weekly share away. That's ok...except I don't see many people while the food is still fresh. :-)

I do agree with you about choosing the veggies, but I can understand with the program because it's all seasonal. I like just about all veggies, except okra. Ugh! I don't use it because my DH and kids only like certain vegetables, so I just can't eat it all myself.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.