What's Blooming?? # 6

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Victor, my pic of 'Pawprint' is probably not true color, but it's not really purple in person either. you're right, it's kind of rosy.

this color combo worked out well, and the bloom times overlap (that's 'Gran Paradiso')

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Kim, I like the yellow 'trim' :0) ...so pretty

a perfect bloom on rose 'Sexy Rexy'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

'Cherry Parfait'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I am TRULY enjoying Bee Balm in my garden this year! This is new to me and purchased as a donation for a fallen fireman here. I have NEVER had hummingbirds in the garden and since this has been blooming I have a little hummer that is out there every time I look out. I am LOVING it. Can some of you more experienced gardner's please tell me how I would go about collecting seed from it to share with others? I am sending a "care" package to a new gardener and would like to include seeds for it as she has none. Are they easy to grow from seed? So much to learn but I am LOVING learning :)

Hubby is going to rototill me a new garden this weekend! I am SO tickled about it. I'm calling it the "expansion" garden where I will put divisions of things that have gotten too big and also seedlings from any daylily pods I hopefully get this fall. It's really going to add some color to the other side of the driveway near the woods and will certainly brighten up that area which really needs it. Can you tell I'm excited? *lol*

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

this is either Sempervivum 'Olivette' in bloom or some kind of alien bonsai

Thumbnail by grampapa
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Wow Gram, that is totally amazing!!! SO fragile looking.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey folks, I'm just guessing, but I think Kim's excited! this is what I love about gardening. the enthusiasm. it never gets old. there's always a new bed or a new plant or a new variety. Kim, have fun!! can't help with the seed collecting...I have had almost no luck with bee balm. mine comes back but it is tiny plants and fewer every year. for all I know the old plants are dying and it is self-seeding.

'Royal Bonica'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

'Baby Darling' ~ less than 1" across (a mini)

Thumbnail by grampapa
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I must say that everyone is very friendly here and all these gorgeous pics. Oulala! That Cherry Parfait is a beauty and all those pretty lilies. Yum!

Pretty monarda too, mine spread like crazy if I leave the seeds on too many of them . I have never tried to grow from seed but since they self seed so well I would imagine they are easy to do.

The semps when they flower remind me of baby palm trees. They do look a little alien.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

'Dublin Bay' ~ climber on my arbor

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

tiny blossoms on bell heather 'C D Eason'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

here's the plant

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Pixie, I never asked...how did you end up with 100 Purple Pawprints? that's a lot even for you LOL

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

LOL Gram....I was a "wheeling-and-a-dealing" and ended up with a 100 of them. I did not wheel and deal this year!!!
"Shocking" looks exactly like mine and it's heavenly!! I love that "Cherry Parfait"...it's mouth watering. I'm really glad your hens and chickens bloomed.....some people have to wait years! It's such a unique looking plant when it blooms.

Here's a little devil that I couldn't find the tag for this morning. It's really wet here so I didn't look real well but it amazes me because it's soooooo small. It would fit great with your mini rose Gram!!

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

This is for Al....LOL my mini Dahlia!!

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

While im doing "mini's" I'll just throw this one in too. This is an asiatic....I believe its "Cote d' Azur"

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Here is another plant that kind of looks like it should be on another planet that is blooming right now It is a sea holly, Eryngium Yuccifolium. These are the flowers.

Thumbnail by ngam
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

ngam...aren't they unique?? I've heard they can be invasive but have had mine for 5 yrs and only one volunteer!

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Pic of whole plant. It is about 5' tall and grown usually for the blue-green yucca like foliage. My sea holly that turn blue have not bloomed yet. This one is strange, when I first got it, impulse buy of course, I kept waiting for it to turn blue and get some fringe. Ha! What you see is what you get with this one. I like the blue ones very much too.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2007 10:04 AM

This message was edited Jul 19, 2007 10:56 AM

Thumbnail by ngam
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Monarda is easy to grow from seed but I started mine from packaged seed ... never tried to collect it ... here's what's blooming as of last weekend in my Hudson Valley (though on a ridge) garden ... Rudbeckia Cherokee Sunset and Yarrow

Thumbnail by crockny
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Rudbeckia, yarrow, echinacea and a little lavender ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Liatris and daylilies - I have no idea what daylillies these are -- they came in a package with several kinds ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Second year for my coneflower Sunset (or Sundown??) ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Some alyssum I sowed in the basement with Jacob Kline monarda flopping through ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

A few things blooming here: Stokes Aster and Brown Eyed Susan that self seed themselves.

Thumbnail by ngam
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Bela Lugosi

Thumbnail by ngam
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

and Desperado and friend.

Thumbnail by ngam
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

nice lilies ngam!! Bela hasn't bloomed for me yet this year.

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Where did you get your Belas? Garden Crossings has a sale ($2 off) but the shipping for two daylillies adds a third of the price! Love Bela though ...

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow ngam! Those two would look great next to each other. Crock - aren't GC's shipping charges more reasonable if the order is large?

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

heh heh -- all the better to lure you to buy even more!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

$2 for Bela is a good price no matter how you look at it!
Here's one of my darker ones, don't ask the name today....it's to wet for me to go digging for tags.

This is "Strutters Ball" finally dry enough to look for the tag.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2007 9:40 AM

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

"Sambo Wilder" (I think)

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Seems to me I got Bela from Dutch Gardens a year or two ago. They should be having specials for ordering early pretty soon I think.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Another dark one holding it's color really well in the rain.

I.D. as "Ed Murray"

This message was edited Jul 23, 2007 9:36 AM

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

A duo of "Lullabye Baby"

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Francis Joiner DL from the local lily farm and echinacea Twilight in the back.

Thumbnail by ngam
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

It's not $2 Celeste - it's $2 off. It's $14!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Now thats a different story! Go to Marrietta's Garden.....it's $10.00 and you always get your money's worth!

"Desert Song" almost in full bloom.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

"Green Eyes Wink" not liking the rain so much.

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.