Garlic sets???

Delhi, IA

I was given these garlic heads. Thought it would be like onion seeds but seems to be little sets. Do they need to dry before planting? Tear the ball apart? Advice needed. Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi Jamlover,

If it is garlic, and it has little bulblets on it, it may be a Rocambole garlic. You can grow garlic from it, but I think it would take something like 2-3 years before you had a harvest, and I am not sure of the process of getting there.

With garlic, you need what is called "seed garlic", but is really not seed, just a head of garlic that has been cured and stored under the right conditions. When you are ready to plant, you split the head apart and plant the individual cloves. The bigger the clove, the bigger your garlic will be at harvest time. The best planting time for garlic tends to be about mid October, at least in my area.

Delhi, IA

I purchased 4 types of garlic last fall and planted them, but only 2 types came up. From Seed Savers in Decorah, Iowa. Mulched them well and all, don't know what went wrong.

My heads given me now are suppose to prevent insect damage to roses if planted under them.

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

If your reason for planting them is to prevent damage to your roses, and not with the intent of producing garlic, then by all means, give it a try!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I was trying to remember about growing garlic, as I did this around ten years ago in Santa Cruz CA area, quite successfully. I just used garlic cloves from the grocery, nothing special, except I did have well matured good garden soil when I did this.

Anyway, thinking about sticking some cloves into the ground in my new little patch in Weed CA, trying to recall, what do I need to do to the soil etc -- and remembered the following link of info, hope this link works for y'all:

http://www.naturalhub.com/grow_vegetable_type_garlic.htm

So, I h ave some elephant garlic I thought I would st ick a couple cloves in the ground just to see........ not sure I have the ability right now to enrich the soil enough, but it sure is well drained and definitely not too acidic.

fingers crossed. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.