canna seeds a first

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

I just got 2 seeds off of my big yellow one. woo hoo. I've been inspecting and looking and they, literally, just fell into my hand. lol And the big question, now what??? I put them into one of my baggies. Do I need to leave them out for awhile, they look like a black bean. Or is it ok to store them in the bag? I'm going to put my seeds (all of them) in the fridge till next year, is it ok for these seeds as well?

Anne

Hope Mills, NC(Zone 7b)

Anne I started planting Hybrid Canna's 2 years ago and they have multiplied enough for me to separate and replant them last fall. I didn't even know they could be probagated by seed. I'm going to start looking for as of now. I assume they show up after the flower dies. All my Canna's are the plume type. Can you tell me what to look for and when. Thanks Bob

yes they put off a soft spiky kind of ball thing, I just went out and took a picture. The seeds were in there. I'm letting them stay on till they turn a little brown before I bother them. That seems to be the thing to do with most pods.

ok, sending the pic would be a good idea. lol. Too much sun.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, let them turn brown, the seeds should be black. And they should be dry then as well so no need to worry about setting them out to dry. Maybe someone else will pop in that knows better, but I think you should be storing these at room temp instead of the fridge.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I store mine in a paper envelope but you can store them at room temp in any dry container. If I want to plant right away I wait a week or two until the seeds are very black and hardened then I soak 24 hours ,nick them ,soak another 24 hours more and plant.They take about 7 up to 14 days to sprout.

Hope Mills, NC(Zone 7b)

Anne I know this is very late to thank you, but I was unable to check back in because my computer was fried up by lightning. So if you are still around this thread thanks to you and the other people that answered. I learned alot, have a good 2008. Thanks again: Bob

No prob. I'm a teacher by trade and sometimes just can't stop myself, lol. Besides it gives me a chance to show off my pretties.

Anne

Hope Mills, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm going to go my pile of cut off cannas and see if there are any left. They have been out in the cold for about 2 months. I'll let you know if there are any left.

Bob

K

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

you go for it can you cross polinate them? I know that with brugs you can...

I've no clue I'm a newbie to this as well.

A

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

maybe brian will pop in but you can cross pollinate canna yourself. however some varieties are apparently sterile. this is a subject that i wish i understood better as well.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, some varieties have sterile pollen while others are unable to produce seed and others are sterile on both accounts.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

it's you again. hey, az, do you hybridize yourself?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

lol Not yet, but hope to try my hand at it this year :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.