Pink plants for parking lot beds at church, etc.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hello, we are trying to update the beds at church, they are overgrown with orange daylilys & weeds. I would like to have beds that have different plants with just one color, starting with a pink one. I need suggestions of perenials for full sun & can take a bit of dry spell (we have to drag hoses so we water heavily once a week.) I've ordered a quantity of all different shades of pink tulips. I would like to have a low growing shrub like euyonemous (sp?) to cover the ripening folage.

Any ideas for the rest of the year and maybe some winter interest? We don't want to look like a box store.

We have one beautiful rose bed that my husband cleaned up. I planted the spreading petunias under them and it looks great. Is this okay in a rose bed?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Cathy in St. Louis

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Another pink plant is tall phlox. I have one that is a bright pink and has been blooming nonstop for over a month now. It is gorgeous. Another pink plant that I just got a work is a native called Liatris Scariosa aka Wastern Blazing Star.

Avon, IN(Zone 5a)

I got a Lantana this spring and it's really grown a lot. It's a 'Patriot Parasol' and each flower is yellow and pale pink!! Its a beauty. The downside is in my zone it's an annual and I can't find the seeds to gather. So depending on your zone you may have to replace it yearly.

Thank you for these suggestions!

There is also Verbena 'Imagination' which was a Plant of Merit last year and a tree called Japanese Snowbell 'Pink Chimes which matures to 10-25 ft and is also a 2006 Plant of Merit. There were plants in there that had purplish pink flowers but I didn't mention those. If interested I will also list those.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Iris & daylilies are able to take drought very well so you wouldn't need to water very often. I have some pink daylilies I think and will share small starts with you for postage. I have pink iris but don't know which one out in the yarden it is.

I also have a pink iris. It is a blush colored one. I will see if my grandma has enough to share if you are interested. I don't have enough this year but she should.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have both red and pink yarrow. Since they are mixed you would get some of both if I dig them now. Or I can wait until they bloom next summer. Which would you prefer?

LeafLady, thank you very much. I would be happy to have both because we have lots of other beds that can use the red. Let me know how much to send for postage for the yarrow and the daylilies (if you still have some), and your address.
Cathy

Fulton, MO

I didn't see Echinacea mentioned. I have Echinacea purpurea and Echinacea pallida and both are bulletproof.

Other pinks to consider:
Phlox ('Franz Shubert' - no powdery mildew)
Dianthus
Astilbe chinensis 'Pumila' (for shade)
Hydrangea paniculata 'Pink Diamond'
Purple leaved Heucheras
Achillea millefolium (‘Oertel’s Rose’)
Sedum 'Carl' (I love this one! Fantanstic, underused plant, gives late color)
Ruby grass, Melinis nerviglumis 'Pink Crystals' (wouldn't be hardy but might look great with the others)
Filipendula ‘Kahome’ (another favorite, underused plant)
Tamarix ramosissina ‘Summer Glow’
Clethra 'Ruby Spice' (blooming right now for me)
Saponaria (for a low spreader)
Teucrium chaemadrys (for a low non-spreader)
Leptodermis oblonga (kind of trendy right now, but nice, dense plant)

HTH

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.