Ohio ant? If so, what kind?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I am in Ohio. I found this guy in my sink after I brought in a jasmine plant to wash off the outside of its pot. None of the ants I've seen around here have this shape or pointy, wicked-looking stinger end to their abdomens as this one has. Sorry it's not a clearer picture; I put it in a plastic bag so I could see and photograph it without getting bitten. The abdomen curved down and had a definite point to it. If I disturbed it, it acted like it was trying to sting the bag with that back end.

It measured about 1/8" long and was reddish. The head looks small for an ant's head, doesn't it? The antennae don't look like ant antennae, do they? Also, look at the long, thin thorax with that little nip in the middle. It looked more like a wasp to me, but it had no wings.

It was interesting watching this one clean its antennae with its front legs. I took a video, but it was too small to make out.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2007 5:37 PM

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

No ideas? Anyone? I'm so curious here. :)

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm curious too GW, I for the life of me can't find the article I read a couple months ago, but, It warned locals not to disturb ants in colonies because we too have aggressive mean ants.. I know, I know, it sounded funny, but they warned to contact local extensions to be on the safe side. In Ohio?? for real ? Curiousity, otherwise I would not have read it at all. Now I can't find it.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

There are some tiny red ants that bite like the dickens. I've tangled with them when I was seated on the ground by one of our beds, weeding. By the time I realized something was biting my ankles and hand, I had a bunch on me. These were different than this one, though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.